1974 Lincoln Cent survivor

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PennyRich, Feb 24, 2021.

1. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

The date and the, "Y" in, "LIBERTY" seem "normal". Everything else however, not so much.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

It has circulation wear and tear.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This happens quite a lot. The legend tends to flatten (get fat) in circulation.

Spark1951 likes this.
  5. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

Okay. Thanks.

I'm done for the evening. 12:00am, and 4:30am comes quick, lol. Have a good one.

6. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

I lied, lol. Last one for the evening.

I'm aware of the 1982 date variety, however, and this may sound stupid, but does the date size change also affect the letter thickness/roundness and bubble-like appearance??

Attached Files:

7. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

eddiespin likes this.
  8. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Were those bought directly from the Mint?

9. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

No. CRH a New bank box

10. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Welcome to Coin Talk. :) The date size has nothing to do with "letter thickness/roundness and bubble-like appearance...". What you call bubbles are referred to as plating blisters The majority of the time, thick lettering is caused by worn dies (but there are other causes). Re the bubbles, this is from error-ref.com
    upload_2021-2-25_1-35-5.png
    It's a great site to learn about error coins: http://www.error-ref.com/

PennyRich likes this.
  11. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

Thank you, thank you.

if regards to these coins listed, I wasn’t worried about the bubble-like blistering. However, I do appreciate you sharing that knowledge, as I have been coming across quite a few of the blistering coins.

I am curious to know if that blistering has any affect in regards to hurting the value/grading of the coin?

thank you again for the very insightful information.

12. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

I’m assuming the extra thick outline at the front of the face and at the rear collar, is either machine/strike doubling? Would I be accurate with this assumption?

Attached Files:

13. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

Same question here as well? Machine/strike doubling?

Attached Files:

14. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Here's a few '74 Lincoln's!

IMG_20201230_223610.jpg

PennyRich likes this.
  15. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

16. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

This is one way how nice older coins like yours get into circulation. Someone takes a roll like this that's been stashed away for decades and spends it!

PennyRich and potty dollar 1878 like this.
  17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Your photos are fine for viewing. They are clear enough to answer your questions. But please can you crop them, rotate them and post in full size.
    See the upload a file button at the bottom of the page. Once the images are uploaded, Look to the right of the upload and click full image. If you don't click that box it will stay a thumbnail.

Attached Files:

PennyRich likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

This is what it looks like in full image. IMG_3655.JPG

19. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

I apologize. I went through this last night as well. The photos are taken in the upright position, sent to my laptop in the upright position, but once loaded to the site, they rotate. I will figure it out though.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice find Penny Rich, I like it. Really a neat coin Potty Dollar. Thank you both

21. Peter M Black

Peter M Black Active Member

I love finding gems like that and looking at it, wondering where is was stored & overlooked for years! Here's a 1944 I found last March when I was safe-distancing in home and going through penny rolls - one of over a billion minted that year.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted