1974 Lincoln Cent survivor

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PennyRich, Feb 24, 2021.

1. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

Just found this beaut. Excuse my, "Newbie" excitement, but I'm baffled that this penny has survived from 1974, retaining its beautiful red shine, and such little damage.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

nice I find examples like these CRH all the time there more common even in this condition than you think.

PennyRich likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In the 70's & 80's, it was not unusual for collectors to buy the $50 Mint bags. Many of them would be put into plastic tubes to sell or to save for "posterity". Sometimes they would get dumped back into circulation by an heir or a "thieving little raccoon". I still have a few tubes of '73D that are just as red as your penny.

PennyRich likes this.
  5. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

Absolutely mind-blowing to me.

capthank likes this.
  6. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

I have a couple 75's that have shocked me as well. I should post the 43 steel's I have to get opinions on those. I need to learn how to pin-point the coins worthy of sending to get graded.

7. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

This coin however, just doesn't make sense to me. 2006 with a smooth, mirrored-like finish that proof coins have. Not sure about this one, but it deff. stands out.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

8. cpm9ball

Some people are fooled by the steelies that are "reprocessed". They look really great but they are not original strikes.

Off Topic
    Your photos are really good, but you need to work on the cropping and rotation.

LaCointessa likes this.
  9. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

1) I can guarantee you, these are original strikes. My grandmother had them stored in a brown envelope, inside a coffee can, tucked back in the top of her closet, for at least the last 45-50 years.

2) Not entirely sure why it continues to do that, as the photos are certainly taken right-side up. Will certainly fool with it.

capthank likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

It looks like an ordinary business strike to me.

PS. Take your photos from directly overhead.

LaCointessa likes this.
  11. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

Took at an angle to try and catch the mirrored-like finish.

Attached Files:

12. cpm9ball

1) That is no guarantee. I believe they were reprocessing them 50 years ago.

2) If you're taking the photo with the coin in an upright position, and it posts 90 degrees to the west, then just rotate the coin 90 degrees to the east before taking the photo. My stereomicroscope would do the same thing, except 180 degrees.

LaCointessa and PennyRich like this.
  13. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Ok, Big guy , you have the feel for it . Now enter the pre-1964 era . That's where the fun starts like this coin I recently found in 60 lbs of coins . 1921Penny.jpg 1921 LWC-Rev.jpg

14. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

I'm using my I-phone for these. Photos are upright on the phone, when it's sent to my computer, and then rotates on this site. strange.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  15. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

That's awesome. I just found out last week that My grandmother gave away a bag of 70+ wheats to a random woman last month, I wanted to cry lol. She looks in her nightstand while on FaceTime with me, (after she tells me horrid information) and finds a few loose coins. One of which just happened to be a 1910 wheat.

My girl brought home a random bag of coins last night from work, and when I say random, I mean Radom. World coins ranging in years from, 1856-1980's. Nazi Germany coins, to 1856 France and Italy coins. India "proof" coins. INSANE! I had to walk away to keep focus on the current pile of wtf, haha.

Lueds and SensibleSal66 like this.
  16. cpm9ball

We've got plenty of computer nerds on CT. I'm not one of them. You can always post this question on "Support and Feedback". I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

LaCointessa and PennyRich like this.
  17. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

It must be the dam Iphone ! I have solved the issue . Try this program called LunaPic . It's totally free and no Download . Try it out , you won't be dis-satisfied . LunaPic.com

PennyRich likes this.
  18. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

Again, Can't find any varieties for the 81's, but these letters are extra girthy.

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  19. cpm9ball

Show us an image of the whole coin.

20. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

my oldest find CRH i like the reverse better than the average wheatie design 20210224_234145.jpg 20210224_234158.jpg

Scott J, 1stSgt22, capthank and 3 others like this.
  21. PennyRich

PennyRich Active Member

capthank likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted