1974 Lincoln cent on which planchet? Would it be valuable?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by SendMoney, Apr 28, 2020.

1. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

Hi everyone! I'm still new to all this and I can not find this anywhere on the internet. I found this awkward cent while roll hunting. It's the stamping of a 1974 Lincoln cent, and it's actually in really good condition for being 45 years old ...but the only planchet that I can find that comes closest to the outer edge design is the Canadian cent(which isn't it because it's way off in weight.) 20200428_011235.jpg 20200428_005541.jpg 20200428_005729.jpg Can someone please tell me which planchet it is and would this cent be very valuable? Thanks so much.
    -Tammy

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Handyman

Handyman Well-Known Member

I'm curious why you feel that's not a normal 74 Lincoln cent with damage.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@SendMoney

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Tammy!

This is just a mutilated cent. What you really need to do before you start looking for errors is to learn how coins and the dies that make them are made. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time. ~ Chris

l.cutler and Handyman like this.
  5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Excellent advice from cpm9ball. Just a mangled, normal cent.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I don't think so..
    That is DEFDAM - Definitely Damaged :yack:
    Dents and hits caused by circulation wear.

Sorry.. Welcome to CoinTalk

SendMoney likes this.
  7. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

I'm curious to see a coin that has a smooth and consistent pattern like this around the entire thing that is damage...

8. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

Show me a coin with "damage" with a smoothly consistent pattern like this please.

9. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

And I already know errors. I've looked my whole life just didn't collect. Maybe you just don't know as much as you think...go read about the denomination planchets being struck different denomination.....

10. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

[​IMG]

tmoneyeagles and gronnh20 like this.
  11. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

12. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Yes, there are coins struck on wrong planchets. That could not account for the flattened edges on your coin. Even if an odd shaped planchet were struck, it would be forced out into the dies conforming to the shape of the dies. It would not be possible for it to retain that odd shape. You came asking questions and got several polite, correct answers from some very knowledgeable collectors. There is no need to get argumentative because they are not the answers you wanted. A true understanding of error coins would quickly dismiss this coin. You can certainly pony up the money and have your coin looked at by one of the third party graders but the answer will be the same. I'm done.

tmoneyeagles and Diogenes Diaz like this.
  13. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

It seemed to me that some were snobby. Not polite. Maybe I took them wrong. Thanks.

14. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

I apologize for taking responses wrong and being rude to them. I just found this one that it definitely resembles alot, except it goes down the entire ring...just weird, the pics don't show it well enough..sorry and thank you everyone, I appreciate your help. Screenshot_20200428-054229_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20200428-054229_Chrome.jpg

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The Lincoln cent is just a damaged coin. It could not have left the mint in that condition.

16. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If your coin was on a different planchet, it would have to be smaller than a regular penny. As only a cent sized planchet or smaller could fit. The US has made coins for other countries, and US coins have been minted on wrong planchets, either US or foreign. Most foreign coins are different size, weight and composition of metals from US coins for a reason. (There are a few exceptions.) If your coin was produced on a foreign cent planchet that was exactly the same size, weight and composition as a US cent, there would be no way to tell the difference. Unless it was struck over an already struck foreign coin.
    So that leaves a coin which is smaller than a penny, as a larger planchet wouldn't fit.
    If your coin weighs approximately what a penny is supposed to weigh, it's a penny.
    If it were struck on a smaller foreign planchet, it couldn't have full, complete penny rims, since the planchet would be smaller and the rims wouldn't go all the way around. Your rims are full and complete. Your coin is a road rashed, damaged penny.

SendMoney likes this.
  17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm done!
    never-argue-with-stupid-people-mark-twain.jpg

Evan Saltis likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Your Lincoln Cent is normal, just damaged. Welcome to CT.

SendMoney likes this.
  19. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

20. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm about to post something in a few minutes!

21. SendMoney

SendMoney New Member

@cpm
    @Collecting Nut. @cpm9ball check out the real ones! Lol... Have a good day and stay healthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted