1974 Ike Bought on Ebay for 6.64!!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jasontheman07, Mar 25, 2011.

1. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

Yay, i got this coin for 6.64 on ebay including the shipping! Just wanted to share it because this is the 2nd coin added to my collection :D
    1974 - 3-25-11 - paid 6.64 (2).jpg 1974 - 3-25-11 - paid 6.64.jpg [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

Thats pretty good, considering it has twice that cost in silver content value alone. I didn't have my thinking cap on, I was being bothered by Mike Meezak in the background.:D

4. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

No, that's just a CUNI circulation strike, not a proof or anything as far as I can tell... no "S" mintmark.

Waste of money, I'll sell you all the ikes you want for $1.50 each plus shipping fees. Live and learn, I suppose...

If it is silver, well, nice buy.

5. mecha1166

mecha1166 Junior Member

That's actually a copper nickel clad dollar - the mintmark, S, would be above the date, right?

6. Merc Crazy

Yeah, above the date, and even then, not necessarily silver...

7. Coinguy56

Coinguy56 Member

I agree, I don't think that is silver. That coin is worth $2.00 at the very most. But that's e bay for you.

8. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

Glad you're happy with your purchase, but common clad Ikes can be had for very little premium over face value. 1973's, proofs and the silver ikes are the only ones that should cost a bit more.

9. coinman0456

10. Merc Crazy

In order for melt value to reach $6.64, assuming linear progression of copper and nickel prices, copper would have to reach $115.6453 per pound and nickel would have to reach $321.5568 per pound. A mere 26.1641 times what it's worth today.

11. coinman0456

You were probably the math expert sitting next to me in school . You know what, I hit you with the " Spitballs" LOL

12. G-man422

G-man422 Member

Sorry to hear that.

In all seriousness though, do a little research before you start buying (especially bidding on) coins. If you drive around to some banks, you can pick up Ikes for face value. I got 12 this week. I'm glad you're happy with the purchase though. I've always liked the feel of the large dollar coins.

13. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

LOL dang... so is it real silver or not? How can I tell?

14. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

So if it is silver... it would have the S mark? if not, then it's not?

15. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Jeez, folks. Give the man a break.

It's not silver, but if it was, it'd look silver. I.E. no copper ring on the edge, S mintmark, silverish color, instead of a clad look, etc.

16. G-man422

G-man422 Member

It is not silver. If it has an "S" mintmark there is a (slim) chance it could be 40% silver, but it does not have one. There are clad "S" mintmarks and silver "S" mintmarks. These came from sets issued by the Mint. Get a Redbook, it will help you learn about coins, composition, values, etc. It's a must have investment for any coin collector.

17. Merc Crazy

Not real silver, no, sorry. As I said, live and learn.

I'm just a guy with a link to coinflation and excel. ;)

18. FryDaddyJr

FryDaddyJr Junior Member

Look at the edge. a real silver Ike will run you about 12 dollars or so right now.

lesson learned, don't worry about it.

19. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

LOL ok well damn... $6 mistake i wont make again LOL

20. howboutatrade

howboutatrade Active Member

Jason,

Welcome to coin collecting and your second purchase. Ignore the value comments by many, as the only question that matters is "Are you happy with your purchase?" and with the big smiley face at the end of your sentance, the answer is yes...so good deal.

If you are getting into the hobby as a collector that buys what they like and plan to hold onto it for long periods of time the price is not the important thing. If you are looking to make money in coins (very difficult to do by the way), there is a ton of learning and details that matter.

I started collecting 12 years ago and the first collection I put together was a set of Ike's. Like the size, feel, design of the reverse, and the variety allowed in a short period....and they are economical to learn on.

I now have my focus points...some people agree with, some people believe I am crazy...but you know what...I have fun and am now starting to get my children into the hobby....if I can accomplish that, giving them a lifetime of enjoyment, then it is a good thing.

Welcome to our wonderful hobby and enjoy it your way, not the way others say you should.

21. jasontheman07

jasontheman07 New Member

its funny i have the redbook in PDF and also am reading coinflation but somehow still missed the fact!! LOL oh well... im looking for some silver nickels next so maybe i will post the pic here before I bid LOL

Draft saved Draft deleted