1974 gold/yellowish lincoln cent attracted to magnet

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by LucidMusiq, May 13, 2018.

?

Can anyone tell me a little about this coin?

1. its a keeper

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. get rid of it

100.0%
  1. LucidMusiq

LucidMusiq New Member

Hey everyone, hope all the mothers are having a great day. I am an amateur and have a nice collection of pennies. This one is tough to figure out and with help maybe I can. It is a 1974 penny that weighs 0513181511.jpg 0513181510a.jpg 0513181511.jpg 0513181510.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The obverse stamp was a common novelty back then. All things considered, it's probably very, very safe to assume the coin a plated novelty.

Kentucky and tommyc03 like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Your coin was plated after leaving the mint. Also stamped with the outline of a state. Novelty item.

Kentucky and tommyc03 like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Weight is normal and it's been plated as a novelty item. Edit-Did not mean to triple up, the posts had not come thru until after I sent mine.

Kentucky likes this.
  6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I agree with the above, but it still shouldn't be magnetic. Are you saying the magnet will lift it off the surface?

7. LucidMusiq

LucidMusiq New Member

yes it is pulled up and off the table by a magnet. I tried jewelry cleaner to see if the coating comes off, it did not.

8. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

To paraphrase William of Ockham, the simplest explanation is usually the correct explanation. As others have said, Your coin was plated. There were lots of novelty cents made over the years and some of them were probably plated.

In order to get some metal plating to adhere, nickel is used as an intermediate layer and nickel is magnetic. That would be the likely explanation the magnetic attraction

Draft saved Draft deleted