1974 D

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Trisia, Oct 24, 2019.

?

Is this a mint error or circulation damage

1. Circulation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mint

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Are the s always indented like on this penny/ cent 20191022_150057.jpg 20191022_151359.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the 'line' in the S mintmark,
    that's a contact mark.

Same source as the other small hits and bag marks on
    the surfaces.

Not an error, sorry to say

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

In your other post, you say there's no line in the S.

First of all, your post says 1974-D, and the coin is a 1974-S

Second, there is a 'hit' mark in the center of the S that looks
    like a 'line' and you call it an indent(ed) Mintmark.

That's why I called it a 'line' in the MM.

At this point, I'm confused.....and will return tomorrow morning.

paddyman98 and Kentucky like this.
  5. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Ok i was just using it a sample of why i did two trends it was not intended against you and yes i did say D when it was an S my internet went out and i didnt notice i picked the wrong thing. Till you just told me becuse i have one with damage that in one it looks like a D but t

6. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

O i give up internet bad and it not posting everything right

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

8. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Is that what the OP is talking about? Or is the question "Why does the S appear to be sinking into the field of the coin?"

9. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Yes that what is being asked the sinking

10. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Thank you for that question i was trying to see if someone could see that and as you said say why it is

11. Kevin Mader

Fred is the expert here, but I would offer that when setting the mint mark by hand into the working die, a heavy hand that creates a pronounced mint mark (on the coin) raises material into the field of the die. Since this is raised on the die, when the die coins the coin, it creates a depression around the mint mark. Wait for confirmation though.

12. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Ok thanks i will wait for his answer

Kevin Mader likes this.
  13. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

20191024_212053.jpg 20191024_212015.jpg
    Ok got a real close shot of the S top sinking and bottom not

14. Kevin Mader

Yes. Keep in mind that when the mint worker sets the punch on the working die, it has to be perfectly perpendicular otherwise part of the mint mark will appear uneven. Then you have the case where it's tilted...too close to the date...too close to the rim...drifting off to the field. And of course, the classic RPM/OMM when the first strike was too shallow or the wrong mint letter was selected. Lots to go wrong...or in the case of a collector...right.

15. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Lol so true and thank you for looking and giving great information so i can learn as i find coins

Kevin Mader likes this.
  16. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

20191025_165002.jpg
    Posting to see if off center or rim damage from circulation

17. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Ps for got to crop sorry

18. Kevin Mader

Hi Trisia - to do a proper evaluation for an off center coin, your fellow enthusiasts here will need photos of the obverse and the reverse. When you have an off center coin, both sides of the coin are affected. Regarding a misaligned die (MAD), only the affected side needs to be post, but in doing so you would have to mention that the opposite side appeared correct. In other words, it's a safer bet to post both sides of the coin when asking your question. With regards your nickel, it appears to be a well centered/aligned coin (based on the one side posted). It has seen fair wear across the coin and does appear to have some rim damage. But a pretty typical coin.

19. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Ok thank you i will remember that and post both sides if i find one lol.

20. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Ps really collecting pennies but did get a roll of nickels even though i was told not many collecters from a coin shop he did ask what i wanted for them there is some war nickel and older so holding on to them to and now when i see an older nickel i pick it up. So i guess I'm collecting both lol so thanks

Kevin Mader likes this.
  21. Kevin Mader

I mainly collect cents and nickels myself, largely because I started out CRH events as a kid looking through rolls/bags for LWCs and War Nickels. I branched out from there but cents and nickels remained my favorite coins to collect and the only two denominations that I CRH. The Jefferson Nickel series is very likely the only series that can be built from circulation finds so I encourage you to stick with them. Many Buffalo and some V nickels will be found along the way. As for Cents, I encourage you to search for Varieties and Errors while looking for LWCs and picking up a few Indian Heads. It's a fun journey with plenty to discover and learn. And Cents and Nickels don't break a smaller budget as a box of Cents is $25 and Nickels $100.

Draft saved Draft deleted