1974 D - What is this?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tankkiller275, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Tankkiller275

Tankkiller275 Active Member

Found a 1974 D 1c with a jagged line on the reverse. Is this caused from a wire or other material during the die process? I have seen plenty of gouges and dings. The jaggedness of the line is what struck my curiosity.

Also, I believe this to be a small date variety. When it comes to the 1974 cent, what is the significance of the small date/large date design? Is the difference in variety significant due to a transition year or such?

1974 D.jpg 1974 Da.jpg 1974 Db.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Is that jagged line raised?

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

What you have is a coin that has been struck by a cracked die.

5. Tankkiller275

CN,
    I'm at work at moment but memory had me believing the anomaly is not raised. I will look closer later but might be 24 hrs.

~Rob

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It's indented, not raised.

Nice little strike through. Looks like it could be a wire bristle from a cleaning brush, but it doesn't really matter what caused it. Small strike throughs like this are cool finds but they rarely carry much if any additional value. Still, I would put it in a 2x2 if I found it

7. TomPZ

TomPZ New Member

Die crack on the reverse.

8. Tankkiller275

Hoopster,

I will definitely put it in a 2x2... Just wanting to learn what I'm finding and appreciate the knowledge.

~Rob

9. Collecting Nut

Please take a clear photo of the reverse before going into a 2 x 2.

10. Tankkiller275

CN, I will attempt to clear it up a bit. Unfortunately my camera/scope doesn't allow me to take a picture of the entire coin on lowest magnification.

~Rob

11. Collecting Nut

Ok, we'll be patient.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

From my vantage point it looks raised but photos can be deceiving at times. I'll wait also.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

I can't tell. But I'll not admit to getting older. :)

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. Tankkiller275

The anomaly appears to be indented/engraved/punched in, not raised.

1974 Dc.jpg
    You can see where it cuts into the R. The light source is directly overhead, as well as from 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock.

Cropped image from the above picture...
    1974 Dc.crop.jpg
    maximum magnification...
    1974 Dd.jpg

Hope these images help.

~Rob

tommyc03 likes this.
  15. goossen

goossen Senior Member

Strike through. Very cool find!

16. Tankkiller275

Goossen,
    I was very surprised to find it... I know the only value is the fun in the hunt. It is awesome to see such microscopic happenings caused in the die process. Thanks.

~Rob

17. Collecting Nut

Since it's not raised it's not a die crack. As soon as I first saw it I was thinking a nice strike through but I couldn't tell. The newer photos and you comments do convince me that is it a strike through.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    tommyc03 likes this.
  18. Tankkiller275

So what exactly does it mean, this kind of find? Is it plainly a personal find? Does it create a value component to the coin?

~Rob

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it is indented, something like a small piece of wire, or something found it's way to when this coin was struck, and so you have a fossil of whatever that thing was.
    It probably adds a little value, as it is a strike through error.

20. Tankkiller275

Cool.. if it weren't for the jaggedness of the line I would have passed it off to be a PMD...

~Rob

21. Collecting Nut

Oh don't say that. Most struck throughs are only worth a few extra dollars. Several are worth hundreds. It depends on the type of coin, condition, the date and mintmark and as always, supply and demand. Yours, I would only pay a few dollars for but they are neat to find and if I were you, I'd keep it. Protect it well.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted