1974 D Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MatrixMP-9, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Another one from one of my mint sets.

Just curious what could cause this gouging on the rim??? I tought maybe it was like the edge coming over but its not that because it doesnt seem to line up....but Im not nearly knowledgeable enough with the minting process to claim anything. thoughts? I would assume PMD if it werent straight from the mint plastic pack I opened.

It doesnt seem to be on the bottom near "dollar" but the word dollar seems too close to the rim?

IMG_7270.jpg IMG_7273.jpg IMG_7274.jpg IMG_7275.jpg Snapshot000024.jpg Snapshot000025.jpg Snapshot000026.jpg Snapshot000027.jpg Snapshot000029.jpg Snapshot000030.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Slightly misaligned die strike. If obverse and reverse are off it's called a off center strike.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

That would be mint packaging damage. When the package was sealed. :yack:

We have seen that issue before. It does happen.

5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest the same thing. Those look like crimping machine marks. So identical and so regularly spaced, they have to be from a machine. In this case, the package crimper.
    Look at either the opened package or an unopened one, along the seam(s), and see if the marks are not the same.

I've heard that if you bought these directly from the mint, you can request a free replacement. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

7. MatrixMP-9

thanks for the explanations! Its legitimate PMD without the P! Who knows, maybe some collector out there that has a thing for Crimping marks lol! I dont know why but it reminds me of the scene from Poltergeist when the scientist lifts his shirt and says "I dont know but it bit me!".

Hookman likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

This is what I would have said but I'm not awake at 4 am. Lol Have a great day Paddy! :)

@Hookman If the Mint packaging is intact then they will issue an exchange but you pay for the shipping back to them. I would suggest that when returning to the Mint one gets a signature.

Hookman and Islander80-83 like this.
  9. MatrixMP-9

Im not partaking because Im just that dork that likes the "bite" but....would they exchange it from 1974????

10. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I may be mistaken, but I think you have to be the original purchaser from the mint. So if they were bought on the secondary market, as is most likely for a 1974 set, then probably not, but again, others probably know more.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

You are correct. You must be the first buyer and have records to prove it.

Hookman likes this.
  12. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Hookman likes this.
  13. MatrixMP-9

Its going into a holder marked "baby shark" for lil boy.

14. MatrixMP-9

I tried to line mine back up. Like some episode of CSI Washington victim. Kind of cool really to be able to see exactly where it got attacked.

Snapshot000000.jpg

15. MatrixMP-9

Now Im curious of the Obverse damage. The bite marks looks "slanted". Did the coin rotate or slide while getting hit?? On the other side are these longer slanted marks.

Snapshot000001.jpg

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Interesting. Thanks. Would of never thunk that

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

So brilliant at 4 am. I'm in cobwebs 23 out of 24 hours each day @paddyman98. He's one of a kind

Hookman likes this.
  18. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Hmmm. If this damage was done before it left the mint but after the strike, then wouldn't this be one where PSD (Post Strike Damage) applies but PMD (Post Mint Damage) does not?

Just thought I would throw that out there as I often hear PMD and PSD described as the same thing.

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  19. MatrixMP-9

MONT....as always, a lesson....nothing is ever simple in coin collecting lol!

20. Collecting Nut

@paddyman98 is up and struggling for his coffee so he can get to work. I'm retired so I stay where I'm needed, in bed. :)

Cheech9712, paddyman98 and Hookman like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted