1974 d quarter rim not above united States of America is this wear

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Trisia, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

2020 - 1974 = 46 years

Yes. Due to circulation wear.

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think your coin most likely started out as a Mis-Align Die struck coin.(MAD)
    Which will bring the design closer to the edge.
    Circulation wear will affect a coin evenly along its entire surface and not wear down one side or edge more than the other.

5. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Ok i see someone else at one time posted one like this one and was told it was circulation its funny two coins with the same wear pattern. So maybe it did start out as a MAD or its the year that wears like this

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like it was a slight MAD with lots of wear.

7. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Also checking becuse the d is almost filled in on front heres pic 20200119_122020.jpg

8. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

If the "D" is filled in that would possibly be a die chip, which is something separate from the MAD and separate from the circulation wear.

Think of it this way. a "reverse" D on the die has a little pointy section inside. With the constant super fast slamming of the die against little metal discs that little pointy section breaks off. And thus, the D no longer has the middle depressed section that helps us visually identify it as a D. So it becomes a "filled in" D.

You'll see constant issues like this in small lettering, numbers on all coins such as with the Date, Mint Mark, other phrases, design elements, etc.

JeffC likes this.
  9. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Ok thanks for the information.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Should post an edge photo too. I suspect it was a dryer quarter as the details in the design aren't worn like the edge, if it were simply circulation. JMO

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

If you found this in 74. It would of been a keeper. But your eyes are keen. Keep on chasing and looking. You never no sis

12. Trisia

Trisia Active Member

Thanks found a new 74 with close to same thing take a look 20200122_214419.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted