1974 D Penny Error Number 4 Disfigured

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ed Owens, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Ed Owens

Ed Owens New Member

I accidentally posted this as a reply in another thread. I'm new.

I just found this penny while searching a $50 bag. I found this site because I googled it and another guy posted almost exactly the same thing. People are calling it a "lucky hit" or a "coin roller" strike but given I just found another one I doubt those answers.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT it appears that your coin took a hit at one time or another PMD(post mint damage) IMO

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So, you say that yours is almost exactly like it? Is that horseshoes "almost" or hand grenades "almost"? It sure looks like it took a hit to me!

Chris

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Two most common devices causing such damage are the old coin counters that had a slightly raised finger that would slide over the surface a coin and the thin numbers are easy copper to move. The second is a crimper that is used to crimp the end of cent rolls. Yes, it is post mint damage as there is no process which could cause it in the minting process.

6. AnonymousCoinCollector

AnonymousCoinCollector Reintroduce silver coins to circulation!

Your logic is backwards, no offense.
    The fact that others have posted similar coins, and that you have found several is actually evidence that it is not rare or unique.

Many like this exist, and we know how they got that way.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This is what caused the damage on your Cent.. Not a Mint Error
    semacon-cm-65-crimper.jpg

8. Ed Owens

Ed Owens New Member

I still disagree so I am going to have an expert look at it. The replies make no sense. I've seen lots of coin roller damage and there is absolutely no arcs or other damage beyond the number itself. The idea that finding more than one disqualifies it is simply weird since I am pretty sure that a lot of DD 1955s were found along with tons of other replicated errors. I guess only one of the DDs and any other error is a fake if only one single error of a kind is "the norm". And I have only seen one other not "several" as one person claimed. Which is just imprecise language or exaggeration so not sure why I would trust them.

Doesn't matter though . Like I said I will have an expert give me their opinion. Nearly the exact same damage/error in the exact same place, exact same mint, exact same date. Its worth getting a face to face opinion.

Thanks for the input though. I learned a lot. More about the other people on the site than the penny but that's good info too.

I found another penny with a Dime imprint but I will post that at Coin Community.

Thanks again.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Let us know the results. I'm sure it's damage.

Let's see it.. Maybe a Vise job where to coins are pressed together.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm sorry, but the damage is from a coin roller. Please make sure your expert is an expert on error coins. I have found over the years, that many small shop owners and dealers at small shows don't know much about error coins.

Just an FYI, some of the responses you received are from extremely knowledgeable numismatists that specialize in error coins and have a solid understanding of the minting process. You would be hard pressed to find better experts.

Finally, regarding your cent with a dime imprint. Before you post it at Coin Community, you may want to check to see if the dime imprint is incused and reversed on the cent. If that's the case, the coin was pressed in a vise or had some other type of impact and not a mint error. Coin Talk gets frequent posts asking about this type of damage and I'm sure the other forums are no exception.

Best of luck

Draft saved Draft deleted