1974-D Mint Sewn Bag of Error Cents ALL ERRORS!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Yokozuna, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Yokozuna

Yokozuna No Fear Of Change

I hope it's okay, but I wanted to make this post into a new thread. It was part of another thread and I don't want it to get lost.

The original post was in the "Odd looking penny error" thread.

I FOUND THE BAG THAT ALL THE ERRORS WENT INTO!

I bought a mint sewn bag on eBay and found the coolest surprise. The coins, 1974-D cents, had massive die clash that the mint workers tried to fix and wound up polishing off major parts of the obverse portrait of Lincoln along with some of the die clash. So now the bag has coins that show Lincoln with no tie, missing coat front, a floating lower lip, floating hair at the forehead, missing neck (front and back), very weak "Y" in LIBERTY, the "D" from UNITED and columns from the reverse on the obverse. I even found one that the nose had so much die polish that it was almost detached.

On the reverse of the coins you can see the bust of Lincoln between the columns, parts of the word LIBERTY in the field and between the columns, the letter "Y" from LIBERTY shows up very strong on about half of the coins and BOTH sides of the coins have 1000s of polish marks where they tried to remove the die clash damage above and below the monument.

I've found coins with fingerprints where the coins were inspected. Some coins have the die clashed and polished obverse dies with new reverse dies and a few coins have no die clash but have different degrees of die rotation. I would say that 9 out of 10 coins in the bag have some sort of major error! I've just started looking at the coins, so I'm not sure what else I'll find. I'll take photos as soon as I get a chance and post them.

My guess is that this bag was pulled to be melted and somehow survived the last 36 years. At first I thought the coins were adjustment strikes because so much of the portrait is missing. Then I saw all the deep polish marks and started putting things together. I have a bag of 4500+ error Cents. It's like they kept trying to fix the dies and just made it worse with each adjustment.

So yes... at least one bag that "all the errors went into" DIDN'T get recycled; it's at MY HOUSE and the coins are RED and UNCIRCULATED!

I'll set up the camera tomorrow and start uploading some pictures to Flickr.

I'm SO happy I bought this bag I could cry!
    Ben

DEA and SlipperySocks like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Good for you, Ben! I can't wait to see the photos. I've got two Mint bags of 1974 Philly that I've had about 5 years, and you almost make me want to open them.

Chris

4. coervi

coervi Lincoln Collector

That is amazing, i ask my dealer everytime i go in how much he wants for his mint sewn 1955 p bag. Hes not gona sell it or search it :( sad news

DionHurst likes this.
  5. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

This is Pandora's Box. Suppose he opens it and finds nothing at all ? Then he has lost the value of the unopened, unsearched bag. Then if he does find something, the allure and mystery of an unopened, unsearched bag is lost.

This is way to complex for me, I would sell it just to get rid of it. lol

gary

mitchelliii likes this.
  6. coervi

coervi Lincoln Collector

Ya i agree, but just thinking of what could be in there. He told me he is saving them for his grandkids.

7. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Yokozuna what a great pic-up. I only wish I was there to help you, have fun...

8. Yokozuna

I'm trying to find out some details on where the seller got the bag and if he happens to have any others. As for buying a sewn bag, I do it only so I can open it. I was hoping to find maybe an off-center or 2, at best I thought I would find 5 or 10 coins that would sell for a little bit on eBay and I could roll the rest and sell them.

This find is unreal! I have not found a coin that isn't an error of some sort so far. It really looks like they used this bag as a dump for errors from at least 3 or 4 die pairs.

Sorry, but photos will have to wait one more day. I'm having really bad headaches today that not even morphine is helping.

Thanks,
    Ben

9. DMiller

DMiller Junior Member

Can't wait to see more!

10. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Sounds like an error collectors fantasy gone haywire! Lol

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Good luck with the headache.

Sorry to hear that.

12. Yokozuna

A few photos.

Some starter photos. I'm still having real problems with my headaches, so this is the best I can do for now. You'll get the idea. I promise better photos as soon as I feel like a human again.

11a.jpg
    A handfull straight from the bag.

33.jpg
    Missing nose, neck, jacket front, tie and 1000s of polish marks.

2.jpg
    Missing tie, jacket front, neck, and lots polish marks.

21.jpg
    You can see the portrait in between the columns and the attempt to remove the dieclash.

When I have better photos I'll show you the word LIBERTY in reverse on the field and in the columns.

Ben

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      84.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Yokozuna

UPDATE! Second mint sewn bag from same seller located. MAY be able to buy it too!

FOR SALE: 10,000 mint error 1974-D cents. One at a time or 1 price for 10,000... accepting offers. (Just joking.) :)

Ben

14. Yokozuna

I am using my scanner to show the details that are polished away on these coins. About half of the V.D.B. is polished off along with most of Lincoln's forehead, neck and other details. Here is the best one so far. I can follow up with LOTS more (1000s), but I'm still fighting with my headaches, so please give me a little more time to get the pics up for you.

polished small.jpg

polished rev.jpg The reverse is 10 to 25 degrees rotated on almost all of the coins.

Let me know what you think.
    Ben

15. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

He's got a bald spot!

16. Loulou66

Loulou66 New Member

17. coervi

coervi Lincoln Collector

Go find your own thread.

18. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I can offer 50% face for those "damaged" coins.

Stevearino and Brina like this.
  19. stealer

stealer Roller of Coins

You know, someone on another forum (coin roll hunting) mentioned selling a bag of 1974D cents mint bag for major bucks on eBay. Either he had one bag or he said he had 3 or 4.

20. Yokozuna

I only paid $177 for mine! I've seen them up to $479. The only reason I bought the '74-D was because I wanted the thrill of the hunt for an error or 2. Even if I didn't find anything I'd only be out a couple of bucks at that price and if I rolled and sold them for a fair price I'd break even.

Now I don't know what I should do next. Has anyone found something like this before? What could I do to get them listed as a die variety? I have different obverse dies so far and 6 reverse. Some were die clashed before the die started to rotate and some after. I'm also starting to find dies with more clash and less polish. It's the coolest thing to find something new each time I pickup the bag. I had 1 slightly misaligned obverse and reverse die on one coin, but NOT in the same direction. I am also finding a strike thru in one spot on the obverse die on 3 coins so far. My favorite has coin so far has 80% of his nose polished away. Like I said. The operator clashed one or more sets of dies and kept trying to polish them, each time getting deeper. This is so much fun!

The reverse is just as bad and shows Lincoln in the columns. You cans see his beard and the back of his head. The small seated Lincoln is just floating on most coins where his "seat" was polished off. You can also see the some of the word liberty on most of the coin reverses. The "Y" at the end of LIBERTY is smaller that the other letters and you can see it clearly in the columns. The problem is that it's hard to get a good scan showing what's easy to see with a loop on the reverse.

I'm still working things out and may buy a better scanner. I'm using an OLD 1200 X 2400dpi, but I may upgrade to a 4800 x 9600dpi just for all the errors I've bought.

I'm in error hunters heaven and have almost 20 matching error quarters. It looks like the dies were rusted as the error spots stand out and are not strike thurs.

Oh, as far as the offer of 50% off face, I'll have to say maybe for now. I mean all the copper is still there. It's the dies that were missing metal. :)

If someone truly has some advise on how I should handle getting these coins the proper attribution, please let me know your phone number or I can give you mine. I'll call and you can educate me on these things.

Thanks!
    Ben Jenkins

"I love the smell of copper in the morning... it smells like... Victory!"

DEA likes this.
  21. coop

coop Senior Member

A variety coin happens during the die making process from incorrect hubbing during this process. Die polishing to remove the clash marks happen a lot and that is when the devices disappear with the deep cleanings. You should sort out the different dies used from the lot that you have. Find good markers for each die and put them into tubes so you can find each easier. Get good images and sell them on eBay by the roll as clashed die cents and see if there is any interest in them. The rotated ones should 40% or more in order to make them sell. But on that venue, some one may be interested in a roll? Who knows. If you put them into tubes, so don't the soft square tubes. The contain PVC and mess up coins in time to a dull finish. I have a box of those and keep the top and bottom coins in the tube where they are as they get ruined. So get the hard tubes, square or round ones instead. Set aside the very nicest one with no contact marks on them for premium quality coins to sell to high grade collectors. Moving the bag makes more contact marks on the coins. Best to place the bag in a box that is the same size bag so less movement happens when you are moving the bag. Attribution of your coins would cost more than you would get back for them. So I would not go that route.

Draft saved Draft deleted