1974-D lincoln Cent Extra Hair

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Aug 20, 2014.

1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Thanks for your interesting information Bill G. The roll I purchased (seen in the preceding photo), was NOT a OBW. It says on the wrap that it was "wrapped" by the Hanley Coinrap Co. apparently of SF [San Francisco]. The coins all had an odd color, like they had been mass cleaned. Each had numerous bag marks, but little wear. Lots of copper corrosion. No minor metal dust particles, which one often sees in rolls which have been tightly wrapped for decades! The seller does not know that he is not selling OBW rolls IMHO. I informed him in feed back. Each coin had the identical color, a yellowish-pink-copper color. Which I suspect is not their actual uncirculated color. This roll supports your information. This is a roll put together later by some entrepreneur, hoping to profit off the future sales of 1974 S mint cents. All of the uncirculated specimens I have are darker in color and more reddish-copper color. OH, did Rick Stachowski ever get Potter's opinion on the wild hair 1974 large date hair do??
    Gary in Washington

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Desiree26

Desiree26 New Member

I read this post went thru 1974 d pennies all the large date have the extra hair but one. Would that be of any value

4. Desiree26

Desiree26 New Member

These are from 1 1974d penny Ill send a closer shot tomorrow

Attached Files:

5. Desiree26

Desiree26 New Member

Ok took a closer picture and I do see the extra hair. Question I still have is the value if the large date 1974d penny has no extra hair

Attached Files:

6. Tyler Graton

Tyler Graton Well-Known Member

IMG_0969.JPG IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0973.JPG Found me one too. I love this coin and don't know why it's not wanted much. If you look at the top of lincons head close to the letters you will see a extra hair, on his forehead and hair line it looks to be caved in or dented.. to me his nose looks off or a little too big. Then you look at the mouth and threat and it looks like his Adam's apple is gone. And his mouth is open.... :) I love this coin.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. John Hardy

John Hardy New Member

I have the exact same coin

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  8. Fingolfin645

Fingolfin645 New Member

04AA9D98-9C3C-4DF3-AFA0-D11190B58ED1.jpeg 8D3E371F-80E0-42EB-9741-42B391DCCF32.jpeg Great thread! I’m not a serious numismatist but I enjoy some casual collecting. Anyway, I was looking at two 1974 -D cents to see which was in better shape and I noticed that I thought the hair coming down to the back of his neck was different so I decided to get a closer look. Couldn’t find my magnifying glass so I grabbed the microscope instead. Turns out the hair was different so I looked it up and came across this thread. After reading I looked for the other differences and my guy is definitely having a bad hair day (and has the open mouth). So on the one with the flyaway at the top of his head has anyone else noticed a difference in the hair coming down to the back of his neck? On mine it appears it curves more smoothly onto his neck rather than ending at an abrupt angle.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  9. Fingolfin645

Fingolfin645 New Member

Great thread! I’m not a serious numismatist but I enjoy some casual collecting. Anyway, I was looking at two 1974 -D cents to see which was in better shape and I noticed that I thought the hair coming down to the back of his neck was different so I decided to get a closer look. Couldn’t find my magnifying glass so I grabbed the microscope instead. Turns out the hair was different so I looked it up and came across this thread. After reading I looked for the other differences and my guy is definitely having a bad hair day (and has the open mouth). So on the one with the flyaway at the top of his head has anyone else noticed a difference in the hair coming down to the back of his neck? On mine it appears it curves more smoothly onto his neck rather than ending at an abrupt angle.

10. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Kind of cool, to see the life of the die progressing ..

11. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Old Abe did have some wild hair days it seems.
    9281C035-E91A-4070-81BE-33E537E0A2A6.jpeg

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  12. Kaye

Kaye Active Member

I founds this wild haired Lincoln! A little different and more recent.

Attached Files:

13. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Hi! I have recently started looking at my coins and doing some online research. I have two 1974 Lincoln Pennies. One is a 1974 S and one is a 1974 D. Both pennies seem to have the “Extra Hair” or “Wild Hair.” I’m not too sure about the large date/small date variations. I would love to know what y’all think! Any advice/knowledge is greatly appreciated! 9C7B337F-C6BA-4BD5-A965-B471BE911EA0.jpeg 27EF6C59-9A2A-42C3-884A-76AD70898AD5.jpeg 2EB85EBC-8744-421D-9A4E-29A07E0BC2EB.jpeg 459ECC1A-96F8-4BB2-A956-E82D6AB48BF1.jpeg DCFF7245-6FB9-4C06-A8CE-97D365EC5742.jpeg

Kaye likes this.
  14. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

I'll have to pull mine out; I never looked hard at the hair, just that it had the seriously overpolished "no neck" Lincoln.

agrace97 likes this.
  15. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

20191015_195416.jpg

agrace97 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted