1974-D lincoln Cent Extra Hair

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I put an arrow to show extra hair A008 - 20140819_141440 (2)-horz.jpg A002 - 20140819_135759 (2).jpg A004 - 20140819_141008 (2).jpg

Dougmeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

"Bad Hair Day" Lincoln. I love it.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Finally something interesting

5. Tonya

Tonya New Member

I actually found several looking similar to yours in a box of old mint state pennies. I suspect it's a polished die error but I'm too new at this to tell. It looks like the hair that's supposed to be under that piece up above was polished out. You'll notice the mouth appears open and part of the bow tie (at least on my examples) is missing. I posted another thread with two coins for comparison (just saw your post afterwards).

6. Rick Stachowski

I think its a over polished die too, but, I'm going to show it to Mr. Potter shortly, big coin show in Michigan, coming up this month, I'll let you know what he says, hes the cent expert

Wanderingbark116 likes this.
  7. Tonya

Tonya New Member

I'd be curious to know. I've also just found three other versions of the same coin, all with strike doubling (I think) on the nose, chin and ear). Not sure if the two issues are related. One was doubled on the 4 in 1974 as well, but again, appears to be strike doubling. 1974-d overall.jpg 1974-d ear.jpg 1974-d nose.jpg 1974-d number.jpg

8. Rick Stachowski

lots of polishing on that 1, die on its last stage of life

9. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Its definitely from die abrading (or polishing if you will) since that lock or "hump of hair" exists on my 1974-D Lincoln but their is hair underneath it.

001.JPG

non_cents, Tonya and Rick Stachowski like this.
  10. Tonya

Tonya New Member

I have looked at about 100 more 1974-D pennies tonight and I think I found a correlation. There is a small date and a large date variety. The small date has a point on the top right of the seven, whereas the large date has a more rounded top. Every coin I've found with the "extra hair" appears to be the large date. The others I have, which appear less sharp and definitely don't have the hair that stands out, look like small date examples. Here is the reference I found. It refers to the date, but doesn't mention if the coin itself has other variations. http://www.thecentproject.com/sort1974.php

11. Rick Stachowski

heres a site to look for DDOs http://www.coppercoins.com/lincoln/dietype.php?date=1974&die_mint=d&die_type=do&page=0

Tonya likes this.
  12. Tonya

Tonya New Member

13. Rick Stachowski

good luck

14. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

I count 9 - 12 varieties of the 1974 series Lincoln cent (all mints). I am currently engaged and have been involved in a study of them. Just organizing all of the needed images is very time consuming, but I am on it! I hope to write up a nice informative and correct article!!:pics:

Paul M. and Rick Stachowski like this.
  15. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

GSDykes
    I would be very interested in your article, Please keep me/us up to date it. I have wondered about a 74 Mint set that I have, which shows some significant MD on the Lincoln such as the 4 etc..

16. Rick Stachowski

There was 2 size date for 74, mostly small dates for varieties ....

17. GSDykes

I used "variety" loosely, I meant that I have about 9 - 12 different types of the 1974 coins. 74 D, Lg and Sm. 74 P, Lg and Sm. 74 S both mint types, 74 S proof, 74 D "wild hair" (my nomenclature), 74 S, Lg and Sm., and finally the 74 D Lg - RPM's are noted. I indicate about 11 "types" in this note. There exists (apparently via my research) 2 others: the proof "wild hair" type, and the 74 P, Lg "wild hair", both under scrutiny.
    GSDykes

18. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

Now this is an appropriate resurrection of a thread. Interested to see what you found.

19. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

In California the 1974-S pennies were not available at banks in rolls or bags. They were mixed in with Denver and Philly pennies before release to banks and rolling companies. The word on the street at the time was that the mint was trying to avoid hording of the last 'S' mint cent. I spent many hours at banks buying rolls of new pennies, sorting out the 'S' mint coins, then selling back the Denver and Philly cents ... over and over ... to get rolls of 'S' mint cents. Yet I see "Original bank-rolled" 1974-S cents for sale. Was this just a California provision or are dealers assuming their rolls are original?

20. GSDykes

I am awaiting a "OBR" from a California bank, should have it next week. See image, seems to be from a San Francisco bank! It is 1974S. But I cannot comment more until I receive it. Why would a bank (or whoever) pre-sort their cents, and then roll them up? Do the rolls in the image below appear to be via a "rolling company"??
    I assume that they were received in bags of rolls, as was the one I am awaiting.
    Gary in Washington

1974_rolls.jpg

21. Bill G.

Bill G. Member

Gary: Yes, please let me know if these rolls are solid 1974-S rolls. That would pretty much confirm that bags of S-mint cents were distributed (at least some of the time) to banks and wrapping companies. Thanks. Bill G.

Draft saved Draft deleted