1974-D Eisenhower Dollar...New DDO?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MontCollector, May 13, 2017.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

You must be stupid, it's only one coin ...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Update: So I sent this coin into John Wexler last week. Well I just got the results in an email. It is great news. This is a new Ike Dollar DDO. Here is part of the email he sent me today.

"I have processed the coin that you submitted for attribution in a package postmarked May 17, 2017.

The 1974-D Ike dollar is 1974-D $1 WDDR-002 which is a new listing for my files.

Congratulations on the new listing. It will be illustrated on the appropriate page of my website the next time that I update the site. I also plan to use it in my Varieties Notebook column in Coin World. It is scheduled to be in the August 21, 2017 installment of that column."

Woohoo my 1st new listing!!!!

dog_pound likes this.
  4. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Wexler's updated his website and includes this one now.

There are now 2 listings for 1974-D Eisenhower Dollar DDO's. The 1st one is probably from his book. Mine is the WDDO-002. Take a look

http://doubleddie.com/2306337.html

It says in the description that the reverse has the usual hub doubling found in all 1974-D Ikes....Hmm I didn't see any doubling on it. Will have to look again when I get it back.

Question: Would it be worth sending it into ANACS? I know the DDO isn't worth much, but does having the label of "Discovery Coin" add enough value to make it worth the grading costs? So far, including attribution costs, I have about $10 in it.

As a side note. I would have to find someone with an account with ANACS to send it in for me. I don't have one and don't plan on sending in enough coins to warrant getting one.

Thanks again...Mont

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  5. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I disagree. This is definitely a doubled die.

6. 19Lyds

That is not a 1000x photo. At best, it's 50x and probably 30x. Like this one.
    05-1971-S-01 (DDO-022) Motto.jpg

7. 19Lyds

While I cannot speak for Rick I can agree with his assessment.

As with ANY of the large, CnClad Coins, which when they were originally produced presented hardness problems to the US Mint both in die making and coin production, there are literally thousands of true doubled dies and the folks who specialize in these coins (i.e. IKE's and Kennedy's) are fully aware of the abundance of doubled dies.

None in the same level as the Lincolns (55/55, 72/72) but some are fairly significant. MOST, are relatively minor and a person, such as the late Thomas Kalantzis, can function 24/7/365 identifying and classifying these.

Yet, it's gone crazy!

Why? Simply. The magnification techniques used to identify, classify and photograph the coins is abundantly available at really cheap prices.

I never would have considered purchasing a Stereo MicroScope back when IKE's were first produced since I could never have afforded one.
    Not so much today as the prices have really come down. USB Scopes can be less than $100 ANDF produce photographs!

In 1977, I actually paid a guy to photograph one of my coins because:
    1. I didn't have a camera
    2. I had no way of blowing up a photograph

Today, I can photograph coins and post them on a web forum in a matter of minutes because of the technology that is currently available and as cheap as the dirt in my graden.

Yes, It's gone crazy!

8. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Let the record reflect I conceded that two pages ago (#10)...

"Yeah, well, then I guess I'm wrong again. But do you know what it is? It's if you're so preoccupied with identifying and collecting things that are that infinitesimal, there's something, well, dare I say it, insane in that? Especially if none of you would pay any extra for it, why even bother with it? Or, would any of you pay extra for it? I guess my trouble was I was assuming too much. But, let's say you would pay extra. That's even worse, in a way, isn't it? I mean, think about it, this is something everybody who can add two and two together knows. One doesn't have to be a professional to know when a die is struck twice sometimes the strikes are going to be a hair off. If we used 1000X microscopes to detect these doubled dies we might even find and be able to classify more of these infinitesimal mint errors. In fact if we all bought 1000X microscopes we could all become discoverers of new doubled dies nobody cares anything about and become famous for it! :)"

9. 19Lyds

It is important to note that Wexler is redoing his entire listing of Die Varieties. What this means is that previous list made in conjunction with Kevin Flynn and Billy Crawford, belong to those three. Wexler has his own list with his newer website.

10. 19Lyds

The Authoritative Reference was initially published in 1998 and that copy has the 74-D DDO-001. However, as stated earlier, Wexler has abandoned that list.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

So, should we assume that Wexler has disassociated himself with that book? I don't think so!

Chris

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The Second Edition was published in 2007, and it still has Wexler's name on it.

Chris

13. 19Lyds

What can I say. I'm a slow reader and this is an old thread.

eddiespin likes this.
  14. 19Lyds

John Wexler would have submitted it for you to get the Discovery Coin attribution on the label. If he still has it, talk with him.

Does the "Discovery Coin" label add any value? Only to the "discoverer".
    IKE 1978-D WDDO-002 4081362 Discovery PC ANACS MS64 Slab ObvW.jpg

eddiespin likes this.
  15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Fair enough, but you did something Rick didn't and made a clear point, while he posted the same coin 2-3 different times without bothering to clarify exactly what he was trying to say. Especially since these threads live on long after we're done with them, I was hoping he would do so.

Draft saved Draft deleted