1974-D Eisenhower Dollar...New DDO?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MontCollector, May 13, 2017.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

@Rick Stachowski: All your discoveries? I like em and Congrats!!!

I believe there are enough undiscovered errors in Ikes that you don't need to pay a premium for them. Just do some searching of your own.

Rick found a few good ones. I have found a few very minor unlisted ones(to minor to bother with), and a couple of listed raw "Divas". Ike collectors know what a Diva is.

I am hoping this may be my 1st good "new" discovery.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

I didn't say, you did. I said (And I paraphrase) that I acknowledged your point while poking some fun at the 1000x comment. Though I did respect your opinion and found some merit in it. I also stated my own opinion in support of looking for errors using some magnification. If I have misinterpreted your comments and cause you some grief my apologies.
    Text can be difficult in conveying emotion but you appear to take this a tad bit personal when the OP was simply sharing what appears to be a legit DDO

MontCollector likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You want a shot? I've got plenty of them! How many do you want?

97986.jpg

Chris

5. cpm9ball

A superbird? Did you say a superbird? Geez, the first time I looked at one of those, I thought the discoverer must have been on LSD!

Chris:):):):):)

dog_pound likes this.
  6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I realize I'm being critical...and judgmental. I'll back off. Just let the record reflect, I'm not trying to get personal. What I'm driving at, rather, is, where does it end?

Perhaps we might just bear that question in mind...

dog_pound likes this.
  7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I wasn't replying to you when I made the "1000X" comment, @dog_pound.

Anyway, for whatever it's worth (...not much, huh? :)), I guess I made my point with it.

dog_pound likes this.
  8. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

My bad then, maybe I took them wrong then. No worries either way. :)

eddiespin likes this.
  9. MontCollector

Update: I sent photos to Dr. Wiles of Variety Vista and John Wexler.

Mr. Wexler has replied saying he has no DDO listings for a 1974-D and this coin definitely looks like a candidate. He has sent me info and asked that I send him the coin to be attributed.

I plan on sending it out this week.

19Lyds, non_cents and dog_pound like this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

It's a perfectly reasonable question, but is one I really don't know the answer to. That said, and to be straight with you, I personally agree with your feelings on the matter, not across the board but with the most or more minor of varieties. I don't see the real point or attraction (although I can say the same for coins in general), but simply isn't for me to decide.

Perhaps think of the near countless supposed "DDRs" in the late memorial series that are nothing more than little blip on a column to either the left or right of Lincoln's statue; this is already pretty extreme imo, but it can offer a little "fun" for those so inclined. In fact, at different times when we've had someone here who has grown weary of their new hobby, I've suggested searching out such things simply because of how insanely plentiful they are. It could allow them to both train their eyes while finding actual varieties, possibly helping to keep them involved in a hobby they otherwise had been growing tired of. To me this is key. This obviously can be a costly hobby, and not everyone wishing to participate can afford the coins they'd like to collect. Roll searching and minor variety collecting, in many cases, can allow such a person to collect for little more than an investment of time, yet down the road, perhaps when they've more disposable income, they can collect what they'd like. The health of this hobby depends directly on the number of participants, so if there are ways for the ways for the young or less affluent to to involve themselves in a way where they're not likely to have to deal with the pitfalls most collectors do, it seems like a win-win to me. JMHO, of course....

11. cpm9ball

The next time you correspond with Mr. Wexler, please ask him if it is a mistake in the book, "The Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars, Second Edition" that he lists on Page 172 a 1974D DDO-001 since, according to you, he denies having such a listing.

Chris

12. MontCollector

Sure no problem

This is copied and pasted from the email he sent.

"I don't have a listing for the 1974-D Ike dollars. Looks like you definitely have a DDO there but I would have to see the coin itself to do an actual listing. I've attached a copy of the guidelines for submitting coins."

There's more to the email, but this is the important part.

13. cpm9ball

I'm not doubting that he told you that. What I'm wondering about is the listing in his book. I have the book! I'm looking at it right now! So, the listing is published in 2007 and he claims he has no such listing 10 years later. What gives?

Chris

14. MontCollector

Here's a thought. Mr. Wexler replied very early this morning. He probably took a look at the listings on his website and saw there were none and forgot he had one listed in his book.

If this one turns out to be a new one it will probably come back as 1974D-DDO-002. Assuming he takes a look at his book when he looks at this coin.

Kinda excited to see how this one goes. Never sent a coin in for attribution or grading before.

Would it be worth sending it in for grading as well if it is a new DDO? Like Rick did with his.

15. BooksB4Coins

Didn't he sell or donate all of his earlier work to some organization or the like? I recall something along these lines and could explain the discrepancy.

16. cpm9ball

I noted that Rick had his graded by ANACS. No offense intended toward Rick, but a lot of people submit coins to ANACS because they are cheap and will attribute a lot of coins that NGC & PCGS wouldn't. Personally, I would prefer to submit coins to either NGC or PCGS only if I felt they would grade high. I won't suggest that you should or you shouldn't. That's your decision.

Chris

17. cpm9ball

I don't know. How long ago was that? The book was published 10 years ago.

Chris

18. BooksB4Coins

I wish I could remember where this came from, but I do believe it was some time ago, yes. Perhaps I'll see what I can find out.

19. MontCollector

I posted this coin to The Ike Groups Forum before I posted it here. This is a Forum just for Ike collectors. They just saw it and want to put a DIVA number on it. In order to make this list I may need to find a second coin like it.

Please all you Ike collectors out there, look through your 1974-D Ikes to see if you have one with same split serifs on obverse. If you find one and are willing to part with it, let me know. Graded or Raw.

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I agree. I can appreciate Wexler's effort. But am i going to bother trying to find a coin with die error-057 (small die dot) I have acouple of jugs of 1988p&d cents. Such a mynute FG. Error not interested to even look through them. Cheech

eddiespin likes this.
  21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

All that grading for what. I can't even afford a 50 dollar coin. Let alone send it out just for someone to appease me and take my hard earn money

eddiespin likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted