1974-D Eisenhower Dollar...New DDO?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by MontCollector, May 13, 2017.

1. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

Got this yesterday. Turns out it is a DDO. There are a couple listed for this year, but no pictures are posted with the list, so I am not sure if this is a new one or not. 1974DOBV-horz_opt.jpg

Look for the notching in the serifs. There is doubling in IGWT and on the "4" in the date. 1974DOBV-horz_opt.jpg IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IGWT.JPG IMG_0006.JPG

Is it a new one??

Thanks...Mont

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@MontCollector
    John Wexler is one of the co-authors of "The Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars".
    Why don't you send him an e-mail with your images to see what he thinks about it?

Chris

MontCollector and tommyc03 like this.
  4. MontCollector

Thanks cpm9ball. I didn't know he co-authored a book on Ikes. I did look on Wexler's website and they have none listed for this year. Coneca (I think that's how it's spelled) has 2 listed for this year, but no pictures.

I did email Dr. Wiles from Variety Vista to see what he thinks.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

You want to know the truth, this is strike doubling. And I think some of you are a little too fond of your microscopes...

coinsareus10 likes this.
  6. MontCollector

Strike doubling? Please explain this one. I have read up some on Double dies but haven't seen this term. There is no "Shelving" like MD on this coin just minor to strong split serifs. This is what you look for in an Ike double die from what I have read and seen.

BTW I don't even own a microscope. Just a 10x loupe and a decent camera.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

It looks good to me. At the risk of upsetting others who frequent CT, I can clearly see split serifs.

Cheech9712 and MontCollector like this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@MontCollector

I see evidence of doubling, too, but the plate photos in the Wexler/Crawford/Flynn book on Ikes are not that good for comparison.

Chris

MontCollector and Seattlite86 like this.
  9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Agreed and indeed.

MontCollector likes this.
  10. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

I think it looks good for a DDO. Some of it may be MD, but there are a couple of solid splits. With regards to the microscopes. Those are pretty decent pictures and almost every site you visit or book you read references pictures using microscopes or detailed macro pictures. The notion that if you can't see it with the naked eye or a 5x loop then it doesn't exist is preposterous. Some of us don't see so well and appreciate a little help.

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, well, then I guess I'm wrong again. But do you know what it is? It's if you're so preoccupied with identifying and collecting things that are that infinitesimal, there's something, well, dare I say it, insane in that? Especially if none of you would pay any extra for it, why even bother with it? Or, would any of you pay extra for it? I guess my trouble was I was assuming too much. But, let's say you would pay extra. That's even worse, in a way, isn't it? I mean, think about it, this is something everybody who can add two and two together knows. One doesn't have to be a professional to know when a die is struck twice sometimes the strikes are going to be a hair off. If we used 1000X microscopes to detect these doubled dies we might even find and be able to classify more of these infinitesimal mint errors. In fact if we all bought 1000X microscopes we could all become discoverers of new doubled dies nobody cares anything about and become famous for it! :)

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Remember, there's a MDO ........................

13. BooksB4Coins

In a nutshell: different stokes for different folks. There's nothing odd or "insane" about it, but is simply another aspect of the hobby that some enjoy.

19Lyds and MontCollector like this.
  14. MontCollector

I collect the coins I like. This one happened to come in a bulk lot of Ikes i purchased. All of them are UNC and are for an album I am filling. I do not buy error coins, but I do like to CRH LMC's for them as well as search any coin I may purchase. I have traded with other collectors. Error coins found during CRH are commonly traded among fellow CRHers. Just another aspect of the hobby.

There are very few Eisenhower Dollar errors that have been discovered compared to other series. I and my fellow collectors of them are constantly searching for new ones. Most errors are too minor to list. And this one might just be one of those. Having said that, when to comes to Eisenhower DD's I have found, this one is the most noticeable. I can see the notching using my 10x and my 5x loupe. Heck If i hold the coin right I can see the notch in the "I" of IN with the naked eye.

I have seen ones with less severe notching make the list for other years, so I figured I would give this one a shot.

19Lyds likes this.
  15. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Well, I don't know if I would use a 1000x microscope but I think a 10x loop and a 5 mp usb camera is appropriate. My point, was that even recognized experts in this field use microscopes to illustrate known errors. I agree that if you blow the thing up to electron microscopes status then you will probably always find something. The OP's post though appears to be visible to me with a loop, and in those cases I have no issues with the magnification assistance. Errors are not for all but I do enjoy looking for them, and yes some errors I would pay a premium for, e.g. the 1952 superbird, the 1953 DDO proof set, 1955 DDO, ETC...& others that I find particularly interesting. I guess that's what makes this hobby great. There seems to be a lot of options out there for everyone.

16. Rick Stachowski

1974 D CN Obverse
    Discovery Coin: IDDDO-1 74D New IDDDR-MH/MD-DDR IDDP-1

Cross Reference: None Known.

Attributed by: IDDD Thomas Kalantzis.

Class: Obverse Class II Tripled. Reverse Master Hub/Master Die.

Submitted by: Richard Stachowski.

Description: Class II tripling seen on many letters of IN GOD WE TRUST. Wide split serifs and doubling seen on the rest of the letters. Wide but mushy spread on the upper left serif of the 1. Tripling on the 7. CCW spread on the T and Y of LIBERTY. (Earlier die stage/die state may show a small CCW spread on all of LIBERTY)

Reverse Description: Master hub/ Master die DDR.

Marker: Obverse Full R in LIBERTY. Eye pocket die scratches. Scratch to the left of thee last T of TRUST running SW/NE. Die scratch to the left of the R of LIBERTY running SW/NE. Die crack starting at the rim to the left of the one in date meandering onto the one, continuing NE through the 9 and 7 ending at the 4 in date. Reverse: Type 3. Dot sized die gouge inside and to the upper right of the O in DOLLAR.

Date Recorded: 12/5/2013, CD.

Population: 1.

Comments:
    Obverse Stage B, has been abraded due to cracking on the die (Serfice crack at the base of the one in date). Mr Stachowski has the honor of being the first collector to send in the first tripled working die (TDO) for the 1974 D minted coin.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Rick Stachowski

1974 D CN Obverse
    Discovery Coin: IDDDO-1 74D New IDDDR-MH/MD-DDR IDDP-1

Cross Reference: None Known.

Attributed by: IDDD Thomas Kalantzis.

Class: Obverse Class II Tripled. Reverse Master Hub/Master Die.

Submitted by: Richard Stachowski.

Description: Class II tripling seen on many letters of IN GOD WE TRUST. Wide split serifs and doubling seen on the rest of the letters. Wide but mushy spread on the upper left serif of the 1. Tripling on the 7. CCW spread on the T and Y of LIBERTY. (Earlier die stage/die state may show a small CCW spread on all of LIBERTY)

Reverse Description: Master hub/ Master die DDR.

Marker: Obverse Full R in LIBERTY. Eye pocket die scratches. Scratch to the left of thee last T of TRUST running SW/NE. Die scratch to the left of the R of LIBERTY running SW/NE. Die crack starting at the rim to the left of the one in date meandering onto the one, continuing NE through the 9 and 7 ending at the 4 in date. Reverse: Type 3. Dot sized die gouge inside and to the upper right of the O in DOLLAR.

Date Recorded: 12/5/2013, CD.

Population: 1.

Comments:
    Obverse Stage B, has been abraded due to cracking on the die (Serfice crack at the base of the one in date). Mr Stachowski has the honor of being the first collector to send in the first tripled working die (TDO) for the 1974 D minted coin.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Rick Stachowski

It's gone Crazy ......................

Cheech9712 and MontCollector like this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Oh really? At 1000X, you say. Yeah, that's normal...

Let me point something out to you, @BooksB4Coins. Experts right now possess the capacity to classify them at 10,000X. If they did, collectors would collect them. And if collectors did that, defenders like you would come along and say the same thing: "In a nutshell: different stokes for different folks. There's nothing odd or "insane" about it, but is simply another aspect of the hobby that some enjoy;" foregone conclusion...

20. BooksB4Coins

I realize this is a touchy issue in today's world, but personal choice still means something to a few of us. If someone chooses to collect the most minor of varieties, so what? Does that harm you or the hobby as a whole? Of course not, so what's the big deal? And you're right; I will defend it the same as I would even Carr's copies, which I personally despise, and for the simple reason that those who enjoy them have every right to collect them without being attacked for it. It's one thing to knock the varieties themselves, but something else altogether to knock those who enjoy them.

The ONLY thing that must be understood when collecting such things is that not everyone accepts or feels the same about them, and even to their fellow variety collectors, "values" will be at best minimal. As with most everything else on this hobby, knowledge and education is key, and if we really want to get technical about it, minor varieties, while often giving something to the less affluent among us, also offer one of the least concerning "screw the next guy" opportunities. It's really not such a bad thing.

19Lyds and MontCollector like this.
  21. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

I certainly see the indications of die doubling on the letters.

22. BooksB4Coins

Now, perhaps you could be so kind as to actually explain exactly what this has to do with the OP's coin? Share away, but please make a point when doing so.

Draft saved Draft deleted