1974 D Doubling on date

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Alexander Sanchez, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Alexander Sanchez

Alexander Sanchez Active Member

is this common on #4?

Wed Jan 01 14-19-21.jpg Wed Jan 01 14-16-09.jpg Wed Jan 01 14-15-07.jpg Wed Jan 01 14-14-11.jpg Wed Jan 01 14-13-23.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

After you've looked at a few million pennies, you will realize that, YES!, it is common....on the "4"....and the "1"....and the "7"....and the "D"....and any other digit or letter that may be found on a coin that has been subjected to bumps and bruises while in circulation. ~ Chris

Inspector43 and furryfrog02 like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The 4 looks like it was altered by a hit.
    Not any kind of doubling.

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Yes, a weird hit on the 4. The thickness in the date is attributable to the Large Date variety. However, there was a recent thread regarding die pairings and Wexler lists one DDO - http://doubleddie.com/823923.html

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  6. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

When I look at a date like that I ask myself...could a hub being pressed into the die twice create a "4" with a shorter/smaller top? I could be wrong but its physically impossible. The hub has the correct shape and size of devices and details. Imagine it being pressed in....lifted....then pressed in again....the device cannot get smaller in any way. If it were not lined up juuuuust right then it would make the image look wider, bigger, fatter, doubled....but not "cut off at the top of". The top of the 4 is shorter than it should be. I could be thinking wrong though.

Draft saved Draft deleted