1974 D doubled die

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Pennycase, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

This is by far the best find I've ever found, I have 3 rolls of kennedy half dollars, I had no idea there was a 1974 D doubled die error, but skimming through my coin value price guide, I noticed there was a double die for the 74 D, I knew I had some 74 dates, I've had them for 2 years, I began to search through them, the last one I looked at, is DOUBLE DIE, inspecting it more and more, I took the 10x loop of it, then I looked at it with my naked eye, and it is plainly visible, i'm shocked at how I have missed this error.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well it's good that you noticed - but are you sure it's a doubled die - or is it just mechanical doubling ? Mechanical doubling will have a flat shelf like appearance in the doubled areas - while a true doubled die will have rounded edges in the doubled areas.

Look close ;)

4. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

Yeah, i've studied up on errors and varieties for close to a year now, but, I just now actually started collecting them, and keeping a very very close eye out for them, they are well rounded off, and have serifs. I've found plenty of mechanical doubling, but this is my first big double die find.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then Congrats :D I was a Kennedy collector for years - and I never found one :(

6. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

I wouldn't have found this one had I not stumbled upon it in my price guide, I was actually considering taking them all to the bank to purchase rolls of nickels to look through for older dates....Glad I didn't...

Draft saved Draft deleted