1973 S Silver MS Ike DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Double Die, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Double Die

Double Die I know just enough to be dangerous

Here's this Ike that I swear is a DDO-001. The thing is though this variety is for a proof silver and this one is an MS silver. Since it's slabbed, the pictures will be through the case but hopefully detailed enough. I didn't find any master hub doubling listed for this type either. Did or does this variety cross over from PF to MS??? IMG_20220816_095255.jpg IMG_20220816_095303.jpg IMG_20220816_095601.jpg IMG_20220816_095609.jpg IMG_20220819_123716.jpg IMG_20220819_123744.jpg IMG_20220819_124100.jpg IMG_20220819_124054.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I see the doubling. And the question remains: Were Proof dies used on silver MS?

VV has 5 varieties listed, 3 for silver proof, and 2 for copper-nickel proof. Your coin looks like it has MS (not squared) rims. Very nice high grade Ike.

BTW, Wexler has no listings for 1973…Spark

4. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

He's photographing light reflection mixed in with minor strike doubling. How I wish we could get the focus back to collecting coins. This is a beautiful silver dollar and yet it's somehow lacking because it's not screwed up by the Mint somewhere. Who even cares if it's some new variety? Seriously, folks, let's grab ourselves some sense...

dwhiz likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I thought all proof coins were struck twice. That looks like MD to me and the field is on the shiny side which will reflect those things.

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

This one isn't a silver proof, it's a silver regular strike. Actually these are silver-clad, both the proofs and the regular strikes, at compositions of 80-20 on the outside and 20-80 on the inside. This one is an MS67 silver regular strike.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Thanks. I missed that. I saw the slab with SILVER on it and that was all it took. I have a silver clad that’s slabbed and it says just that, SILVER CLAD.

eddiespin likes this.
  11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah. I don't know why they call them silver, really. When I hear silver, I think of 90%. Or at least not something with an 80% copper core, like these got.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

These are made of 40% silver

Draft saved Draft deleted