1973 Rim Double Punched

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by William Sheldon, May 5, 2019.

1. Hi...came across this 1973 no mint mark tonight. Notice the rim appears to be "double struck"...I dont know how else to explain this. Or it's off center. Lmk what y'all think.
    Coin Safari Bill

Attached Files:

alurid likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

4. So this is an error...finally lol I've posted on here a few coins and none have been an actual error oer se. Wondering what this might be worth. I see many examples on line. Here is the front:

Attached Files:

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

As I understand it, a misaligned die strike (MAD) is when one die is misaligned (duh) and the strike looks like your first picture (or the second). When BOTH sides show off like this, it is an off center strike. Yours looks more like an off centered strike. It would have to be a lot more off to be worth a premium.

Hookman likes this.
  6. Just came across this 1972 D with the same type of misaligned die struck error.

Attached Files:

7. And last but not least lol 1969 misaligned die struck error. Had this one laying around for a month. Lmk what u think. It's worse off than the 72 or 73. I coin roll hunt in upstate NY 3 or 4 times a week and separate my coin

Attached Files:

8. Separate my coins by decade then go through them looking for errors and such.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What is it worth? Let's put it this way. If you CRH penny rolls on a regular basis, you can probably fill a 5-gallon bucket with them in no time.

Chris

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Photos of the reverse of the 1972-D & 1969 Will be needed to determine what they are. I should have asked for Obverse photo of the first coin before giving you a determination as @Kentucky made a correct assessment of it. These are Minor and common errors and adds no value to the coin.

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a MAD, yes it's a Mint error, yes you found one, value is one cent.

Draft saved Draft deleted