1973 LC 3/3??

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Danielle Skasko, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Danielle Skasko

Danielle Skasko Active Member

image.jpg Good Morning to all! I've found this 1973 LC that looks like the 3 is over another 3???
    Ive compared this one to 4 other LC's and I did not see any resembelence..

Your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

Dani

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Maybe it's the poor quality of your photos, but I'm not seeing it.

Try posting photos of the whole coin, being sure they are in focus and that they are taken straight on and not from an angle.

Danielle Skasko likes this.
  4. Danielle Skasko

Danielle Skasko Active Member

Ok thanks! Let me work on that...I did post one more...

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Dani, really, you're going to see a lot of such abnormalities at that magnification level, virtually in any coin you look at. Do you have change in your pocket? Pick out one and look at it at that magnification level. I'm not trying to dissuade you. I'd never do a thing like that to a nice girl like you, lol. But you're going to see, in 99.99% of these, they're caused by the strike. In fact, I think the percentage might even be higher, lol. And then, who the heck cares? Nobody asks themselves that. If it's that small, who cares? I don't know, I suppose I'm just not into these at this microscopic, quantum mechanics level. But, I know, some are impressed. Ah, I'm just telling you me, I'm not, even if this were some kind of obscure die error, I'm thinking, "So what?" Hey, FWIW...

cpm9ball and Amos 811 like this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

@Danielle Skasko

About 3.7 billion the 1973 cents were struck. How many dies do you think were used to produce them?

Chris

eddiespin likes this.
  7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I can think of absolutely no reason within the limitations of the current manufacturing processes where a "3" would ever need to be punched over another "3".

The dates for US Coins have not been hand stamped or hand punched for over a 100 years and dies simply do not get the level of scrutiny that most new coin collectors give the coins produced by those dies.

When examining coins for error's and encountering a perceived anomaly, the very first thing the examiner must ask themselves is "Exactly what could have caused this anomaly during the die manufacturing process OR during the minting process?"

Granted, there are some very minor doubled dies out there that require some degree of knowledge to understand them but then, that die doubling occurs during the die manufacturing processes and if doubling has occurred on the "3" of the date, then doubling would also have occurred on the "7" of the date and possibly other devices on the coin.

The process of elimination can be very tedious and require a lot of knowledge on the part of the examiner. For newbies, questions should include good, high quality photographs which annotate the specific areas in question. Light sources should be adjusted so that the area in question can actually be seen.

For example, what are you asking about?

This?

image-01.jpeg

Or This?

image-02.jpeg

I used "Right Click/Open With/Paint" to create the arrows.

As an examiner, you should familiarize yourself with certain aspects of coin design. Specifically, were two different "styles" of 3 used in 1973?

James Wiles has an excellent resource available to the public which coin examiners can access for free.

Go to: http://www.varietyvista.com/Lincoln Cent ODV Changes.htm

to view the various design changes that have been documented by CONECA over the years.

While you are there, select the HOME button at the top of the page and spend some time reading what has been posted and pictured regarding coin designs, mintmark designs and known doubled dies.

http://www.varietyvista.com/index.htm

http://www.varietyvista.com/Doubled Dies.htm

http://www.varietyvista.com/Mintmark Styles.htm

Use these resources to formulate your questions and proivide accurate photographs to be sure that folks understand what you are asking.

It appears that you have the proper equipment for photography, all you need to do is start adjusting your light source and then annotate your photo's so that folks will know specifically what you are referring to.

You're not really new to this subject but it's time that you start investing in yourself by increasing your specific knowledge beyond the "Does this look strange?" level.

Respectfully, Lee

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Danielle, I see what you are talking about. While I know of no doubled die for 1973P such as this at the three, there is a doubled die for the 1973S that shows doubling at the 3 at the spot you are referring to on the cent. The doubled die for 1973P is at the lettering. You can see both at doubleddie.com, John Wexler's site and there are photo's posted for each. Hang on to it and check it out before you toss it.

9. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Draft saved Draft deleted