1973 Greek set, one of my favorites...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by downlow, Sep 12, 2011.

1. downlow

downlow Collection Collector

Would it be better to leave the set in the holder or break it up???

I have all my other Greek coins in a folder on a table in the house to look at, some are duplicate coins.

Anyone else like this year?

2011-09-07_21-32-07_213 (1024x768).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. petro89

petro89 Member

Nice set! If it was me I'd leave in in the case.

4. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

definitely leave it in the case, i have a greek set in a hard plastic case and it still looks nice with full lustre.

5. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Keep the set as is. I do like the 1973 Greek coinage. I lived in Athens from 1975-1977 and these were the newest circulating coins. I have quite a few but all are circulated.

6. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I like those too. I recently started collecting modern Greek coins. There's a lot of variety and they're pretty easy to get.

7. downlow

I think I have a complete type set of all the modern coins now...

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Cannot tell whether that set, with an English-only text, is actually a Bank of Greece issue. But yes, I would also leave it as it is. As for the date, that is when Greece formally became a republic again. The dictatorship ended a year later. Those designs referring to ancient examples sure are nice. I have them too; as loose pieces though.

Christian

9. downlow

There are actually 2 sets for the year, Set A and B, with different reverses....

Both are nice but I prefer the phoenix and owls.

10. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Unless you have some very compelling reason to break it up, then I suggest you leave it in the hard case. The case may add value & it apears to be providing good protection.

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I've been removing most of my coins from the mint sets. This is mostly because I don't trust the packaging any longer. I've had dozens of sets with huge price tags on them now that corroded in the packaging. I lost a beautiful 1949 Polish set for instance as well as a few Russian mint sets. I've been taking them out and rinsing them in acetone starting with the worst coins. This way I can put valuable coins in the safety deposit box, too.

Krause doesn't list this set for some reason so it's probably not official. I don't think the set is rare since I had one too before busting it up.

Look the sets up before opening them though because a few sets have huge set premiums and if the coins are good there's no reason to lose the premium.

12. downlow

I don't believe this has a premium due to the packaging, however I will check.

Thanks for the input everyone, The luster on these are excellent. It is a 50/50 on opening the set I guess.

13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I believe my set just slid right out of the plastic.

Sometimes when I card the coins I'll save the packaging in case the next owner wants it or it has a premium. A couple of the coins in this set have a pretty good price now days.

14. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I have two certified examples from this set in my horse collection. I agree this is a great year set from Greece!
    1973_Greece_MS66_5Drachma.jpg
    1973_Greece_MS66_20DR.jpg

15. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I like modern Greek, I just wish they would stop trying to reproduce ancient designs. I mean I love their new designs, its just depressing when they try to recreated classic ones to see how much we lost artistically versus 2400 years ago.

Chris

16. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Well, if the alternative is that they produce coins like what the U.S. has gone to, I'd vote for semi-well-done replicates of the ancient designs. I am tiring of the spaghetti-haired dead presidents collection, and the State Quarters, Territories/DC, and now the National Parks Quarters....ugh...give it a rest!!! :) JMO.

17. medoraman

I don't disagree, especially the dead president part, its just looking at some of the Greek coins that are trying to be reproducing ancient coins is depressing if you have seen the originals. It just seems modern minting has sucked all of the life and artistry out of designs. Actually the best modern rendition of a classical style I have ever seen was the 1988 US Olympic $5 gold.

Short answer, I love Greek coin designs when they are original, not so much the ancient reproductions. The two coins you have BRG I would list as original designs, as one is similar to ancients but designed differently.

Just my opinion.

Chris

P.S. It looks like any day we might be getting new drachmas too, btw. :)

18. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Hmm, this is 2011. If our current coins looked like imitations of ancient, medieval or 19c coins, I wound find that very odd. Besides, many "bread and butter" coins from 100 or 200 years ago do not actually look that great either. ;)

Maybe, maybe not. Even if Greece became technically bankrupt, that is by itself not a reason to introduce its own separate currency again ...

Christian

19. medoraman

Some European coins from 200 years were pretty plain, I would switch out our current designs for what we had in 1811 any day of the week. Bettter yet, what we had in 1800. :)

Yeah, Greece will be interesting. I was just commenting how leaving the Euro would probably be the easiest way to "fix" this issue, but there are a ton of problems with them leaving the Eurozone as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted