Featured 1973 Eisenhower Dollars - Dwight Eisenhower : Father of the American Century

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cplradar, Jul 3, 2021.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

You're the boss...I see a nice 66, with MAYBE a + on a good day.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

A nice post for the day/weekend...thanks for sharing. As sons (2) of a DAR mother and students of history growing up in the 80s and 90s, Ike's life/story was influential in their decisions to become career Army officers via West Point, and they are still both serving today...my oldest having just been promoted to LT COL. And as an added resource to share of more recent, 20th century presidents serving in the military, if you've never read the David McCullough biography of TRUMAN, it's a fascinating read/life-story to include a very under-rated and little-known military service record during WWI. He was no Ike and while I'm no democrat, I was born near the end of his second term and my hat's off to Harry for the man/leader he became...not just for his actions to end WWII. We don't make 'em like we used to. Happy Birthday #245, U.S.A...!

Millard and Scott J like this.
  4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

While I don’t collect them, they accumulate from private collections I have purchased B89A0973-B23F-4D48-982D-80A5C8EF5478.jpeg

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Eisenhower was not only a great man but a good one as well. There isn't much of this left in politics.

I wasn't a fan of the Eisenhower dollar until the very end of the series when I saw my first Gem. I got to looking and found most of them weren't even all that rare and just required some serious searching. Most of these dollars are very unattractive due to strike deficiencies and excessive marking. Indeed, even nice choice attractive BU's can be elusive for some dates.

capthank and cplradar like this.
  6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Nice write-up by the way. Well done.

I liked Ike more as a forward thinker and for his ability to act than as a politician.

cplradar and capthank like this.
  7. Millard

Millard Coindog

Nice write-up. Thanks for the post. Ike was President the year I was born and has always been a favorite of mine to collect. My collection consists of all the brown and blue Ikes along with several raw sets and PR DCAM sets 1971-1976 in PR69, 68, 67 (need the 76) and MS 65, 66, 67 in S mint, Clad Proof in 69 DCAM, and I'm working on a MS65 P&D clad set. Still looking for the 1972 T2.

cplradar likes this.
  8. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Is there any variety to assignable to this coin?

9. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

Excellent write up and super coins.

cplradar likes this.
  10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

FWIW - these are the more common silvers. The ones I sent were CLADs. Yours are awesome strike BTW .... much to enjoy.

11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

that is particially assignable to is mentor.

12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I gathered that from your article. I had no problem with his politics so much as his apparently late warning to beware the military industrial complex. He presided over one of the best eras in American history and while much of the reason was simple demographics much of the credit, no doubt, goes to him. Of course Congress was pretty good and deserves at least some credit. The average man did quite well and this applied to most individuals willing to work. Many people born into poverty became middle class in the 1960's and all of the modern ideas about improving everyone's lot were born during this era.

Ike kept his forward thinking right into his presidency. He deserves a lot of credit and his mentor done good.

cplradar likes this.
  13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That is before you even include his substantial contribution in the area of civil rights, which I didn't include in this right up. Eisenhower was assigned to a Buffalo Brigade, something he deeply resented because it was an intentional slight by his political enemies in the officer corps. But that didn't stop him from coaching football there, and from later integrating the armed forces and eventually, the rest of the nation.

14. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

- Edited -

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2021
  15. Heavymetal

- Edited -

chascat likes this.
  16. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

no politics

ToughCOINS likes this.
  17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

18. Heavymetal

Read the social policy link
    Wow

19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

It is just a compenium of historcal documents are reports about Eisenhower with regard to racial segrgation policies, without commentary. He firmly laid out the path for the civil rights movement by appointing 7 members of the US Supreme Court Justices that upheld the cases as they were presented over the next 30 years. He was not a fence sitter with regard to this.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Has the grade of the OP coin been posted?

21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What did it look like before conservation?

Draft saved Draft deleted