1973 D Lincoln Penny - grade?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Rosalita, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Rosalita

Rosalita Active Member

Hi guys,

I am new to coin collecting. I have this 1973 D Lincoln Penny and would like to know what the grade and value is of this coin? Most of my other 1973 D pennies are brown so I was quite pleased to discover a 1973 D coin in good condition. Is this a penny that I should send to a TPG? 1973 D Lincoln Penny Obverse2a.jpg 1973 D Lincoln Penny Reverse1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Just because a coin is bright and shiny does not necessarily mean that it is worth being submitted for grading. There are enough detracting marks in the primary and secondary fields that would keep this coin from receiving a high grade. ~ Chris

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

MS65. But it’s not worth the expense of grading.

5. Trevor B.

Trevor B. Member

MS63. Major wear on lincoln's nose and on the statue in the reverse.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  6. Bette

Bette New Member

Hi there. My name is Bette. I'm new to this site as well as new to researching coins.
    I found a 1973 D penny. I'm wondering if it's of any value. I've looked online a bit and watched a few YouTube videos which suggests it is indeed quite valuable. But I've also looked in some Coin and Price value guides which says it's not so much.
    I'm hoping someone can help guide me.
    Thanks.

7. Bette

Bette New Member

I was trying to post a picture but I can't seem to figure out how!

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

At the bottom of where you type your question is a button called Upload a file. Click on it and select an image from your PC. When uploaded to your post then click Full Image, You can do this multiple times per post. Start your own thread, you will get more responses

9. Bette

Bette New Member

Thanks for your reply. I'm not seeing an option called Upload File nor can I start my own thread. Hmmmm..I'll keep looking around...

10. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Bette, it doesn't even matter. Best case scenario your coin is MS65 or lower in which case is $16 or less. anything less than MintState and "Red" is basically worth nothing, maybe 3 cents or so.

The caveat here is a MS67 or better grade, considered a condition rarity and worth the big bucks, but that's unlikely to happen. even the one pictured here would be hard pressed to make MS65 it looks good but if you look deeper you see wear on the high points of the front of the coin and on the reverse in the memorial, there's also wear and above it, a lot of friction marks.

11. Bette

Bette New Member

Thanks, John. That was very helpful info. Maybe I can use photo as my profile pic since I'm not seeing how to upload. Although it is not red in color (more brown), the details are pretty sharp. I understand that it probably must be in almost mint condition to have value.

12. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

It should ahve at the bottom of the text box when typing a response "Post reply" "upload a file" and "more options..."

Upload a file or more options is where you can post a picture, but in reality if you are on a computer and you have the picture on your desktop, you can drag and drop it in the text box, the box will grey and read "drop files here to upload".

Draft saved Draft deleted