1973 Canadian Penny error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by gibbler, Nov 25, 2007.

1. gibbler

gibbler New Member

I have a 1973 Canadian Penny which on the side with the maple leafs the stamp is larger then it should be I can only see 973 the 1 is missing from the date. the words 1 cent and canada are missing from the coin. I can take a picture if needed to post.

Does anyone know if this coin is worth anything?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy gibbler - Welcome to the Forum !!

By all means, please post a pic. But it sounds like what you have is a grease filled die error. They are very common.

4. gibbler

gibbler New Member

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Try enlarging the picture, and then cropping it so that just the coin remains. And please post a pic of both sides.

6. gibbler

gibbler New Member

7. TheBigH

TheBigH Senior Member

At first I thought this was gonna be another home-made error, but it looks like a genuine counter-brockage error! We'll have to wait for Mike to get here so he can confirm and give you an estimate of value. Nice find!

8. gibbler

gibbler New Member

Thanks. i got it a while back and kept it wasn't sure if it would have any value or anything but it kinda looked neat. lol.

9. zabb

zabb New Member

That looks weird, how could it do that?

10. gibbler

gibbler New Member

I don't know unless when they set it to make the picture they set it too big...I have no idea because I dont know anything about the process of makeing coins. I hope someone knows something about it.

11. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

Yes, it's a counterbrockage. A coin was struck on top of another coin that remained behind in the striking chamber. The top coin, with a brockage on the bottom or obverse face, stuck to the hammer (reverse) die, becoming a die cap. It struck a series of coins (this being one of them), that featured an ever-expanding counterbrockage. Value is probably between $75 and $100.

12. gibbler

gibbler New Member

13. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

gibbler,

Nice Error find!

Frank

14. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Nice find! Thanks for sharing! and Welcome to CT!

Darryl

15. luc87

luc87 Lmcoins

i would say it's worth 30-150 dollars.

16. gibbler

gibbler New Member

17. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

18. excalibar

excalibar New Member

i have a simular coin same date

On both sides images are slightly larger than they are suposed to be.

On the reverse all you can see for the date is 973, most of canada is missing only ada visable
    Off center.

Obverse side of coin looks as though its been struck several times id say 3, one side hase elizabeth II the way its suposed to but strugle to see as its partialy missing. Exactly accross from it its backwards and only the d.g. visable, very off center as well.

Any help on value is greatly appreciated. I go through the tip jar to find random coins and switched this out.

Will post pic as soon as I upload it

Draft saved Draft deleted