1972p cent DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dollar, Sep 15, 2022.

1. dollar

dollar Junior Member

Found in a roll this morning... I believe it's the one listed on Variety Vista's site as DDO-008. Godcropc.jpg wecropa.jpg trustcropa.jpg incropb.jpg libertyc.jpg 1972a.jpg 1972fullobv.jpg 1973fullrev.jpg

Danomite, GH#75, Amberlarry22 and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Finally!

I real one.

Congrats

dollar, ldhair and expat like this.
  4. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

Yes, this is different doubling than what is on almost all 1972 cents, MDO. There were 2 Master dies produced, the second estimated around May 72. The Mint had horrible problems with both Master dies that year, producing many doubling varieties. Yours looks like it could be 008.

I just checked (as of yesterday around 5pm) 17 1972 P&D, and almost all showed some vestiges of the MDO. Due to wear state, several did not show any doubling. I ended up keeping two AU58 Red and one AU53 Red Brown.

The complete info for the MDO and the other varieties is on the 1972 Philadelphia page at Wexler. Because every 1972 was produced with the doubling, they are quick to point out they have no extra value. But they are neat to show the doubling. Most folks never see bonafide doubling…Spark

Kevin Mader, dollar and Paddy54 like this.
  5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks good to me.

Danomite and dollar like this.
  6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

he means to say check here https://doubleddie.com/384301.html

dollar likes this.
  7. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Looks good to me nice find Dollar.

Danomite and dollar like this.
  8. kaosleeroy108

this information can be found at coppercoins.com

EDS markers
    Obverse
    Small die gouges show on top of both Ts of TRUST; curved, nearly parallel, die scratches can be seen along the rims, strongest above TRUST; light, nearly vertical die scratches through GOD
    Reverse
    Light diagonal, nearly horizontal die scratches below the memorial and above ONE CENT; light die scratches above the lower left memorial corner; curved die scratches above the left upper memorial roof corner.
    View the EDS photos of this die
    MDS markers
    Obverse
    Light parallel die scratches run nW from the top of the 9 in the date. Small die gouges show on top of both T's of TRUST.
    Reverse
    A die scratch from the rim above the E in UNITED.
    LDS markers
    Obverse
    All EDS through MDS markers ave worn away. Doubling is mushier yet still visible especially in TRUST. LDS
    Reverse
    Two small die gouges in the field near FG. LDS
    View the LDS photos of this die
    Value Information
    The values represented here are based on sales results, auction results, and information derived from overall percentage based values given for lower grade specimens in other guides and sales sheets. It is not intended to be interpreted as a buy or sell price nor intent to purchase on behalf of this site. It is only to be used as a guide
    F...................5.00
    VF..................6.00
    EF..................7.50
    AU..................10.00
    UNC.................50.00
    MS63................75.00
    MS65................125.00
    Quick Links...

Go to the date guide main page
    Back to the 1972 date guide page
    Check out the 1971 date guide
    Check out the 1973 date guide
    1972P-1DO-008
    [​IMG] | CLASS 1 (MDS)
    CONECA: DDO-008 | Crawford:CDDO-008
    Wexler: WDDO-008 | FS#:108
    coin photographed is credited to Bob Piazza.
    Nice CW rotated hub doubling seen on LIBERTY, IN GOD WE TRUST, the outer coat folds, and the date. Very similar to, but stronger than, die 003. Old CPG #033.58
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

dollar likes this.
  9. kaosleeroy108

Draft saved Draft deleted