1972D Half Dollar Thin Stock?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by furryfrog02, Apr 23, 2018.

1. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

As I was searching my halves today I came across this one. Had an odd ring to it when I was going through the roll. Obviously not silver and no other noticeable issues so I popped it on the scale and it came up at 10.44g. Is that thin enough to be considered a keeper? I don't have any experience with these. Thanks for the help and thanks for looking!
    23APR Half 10.44g.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

From my collection -
    3840148-002.JPG

furryfrog02 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

Do you think it's off enough to keep? I've only seen ones that are in the ~9 gram range. 10.44 is just a wee bit less than a gram off of what it should be.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Looks like a bit of the Rim is missing above the R in LIBERTY on your coin.. that would cause the issue

6. furryfrog02

I don't think that is damage though. You really think that slight bit would take of 0.9 grams? Meh, I dunno. Time for bed me thinks.

7. vintagemintage

vintagemintage Well-Known Member

And 40% silver is heavier than clad too

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. furryfrog02

I'll take a second look at it after work today. This one actually has me curious :)

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

What does the edge look like at that flat spot? I've got a defective-planchet Franklin that has a weak spot in the strike because there's a bit of a void at the edge.

11. furryfrog02

I will check it out when I get home this afternoon. I should've taken more/better pictures. I didn't follow my own advice this time :p

12. furryfrog02

So here are a few more pictures. Nothing seems out of the ordinary to me. There is some "softness", for lack of a better word in, in the area of RT on the obverse and LAR on the reverse side.
    Stacked between a 2018P and a 1992 clip, the outer layer seems to be a bit thinner in that area but the general thickness of the coin seems to be what it should be. The thin area is right next to where the clip is FYI.
    It doesn't seem to be PMD, though it could be and have been worn down with circulation. I don't see how that would account for almost a gram though. IMG-4825.JPG IMG-4826.JPG IMG-4827.JPG IMG-4828.JPG

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. -jeffB

OK, that rules out anything like the planchet defect I mentioned. From the photo, it looks like maybe the ridges on the edge aren't as full in that spot as elsewhere; can you tell in-hand if that's true?

Still smells like a planchet defect to me, but the thing doesn't look a gram smaller than the one next to it... good puzzle!

14. furryfrog02

Looking at it through the loupe it seems that the ridges are not as deep in that spot as on the rest of the coin. They don't seem to be ground down or damaged in any way, just not as deep.

15. -jeffB

That's what I would expect if the planchet was a little short of metal on that side...

16. furryfrog02

So what would be the cause of that?

17. Rick Stachowski

Your coin has a Disk Clip .
    Here's one I own with two disk clips on it .

Of course mine has some more clips on it, other then the disk clip .
    upload_2018-4-24_22-59-10.jpeg upload_2018-4-24_22-59-34.jpeg

upload_2018-4-24_22-59-59.jpeg

upload_2018-4-24_23-0-18.jpeg

upload_2018-4-24_23-0-35.jpeg

upload_2018-4-24_23-0-59.jpeg

18. -jeffB

I realized I didn't really know what a "disc clip" was. I found this list of definitions from Sullivan Numismatics -- anybody want to vouch for it?

19. furryfrog02

It's a first heard for me. I will have to check out some stuff today about it. Thanks @Rick Stachowski for the lead :)

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  20. Rick Stachowski

Anytime ..

21. furryfrog02

Also found the definition on coneca but I can't find a visual example.

Draft saved Draft deleted