1972 Type 2?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by bradarv90, Aug 12, 2011.

1. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

I was doing my normal roll searching and I went to a bank that had 70-some Ike dollars. I, as usual, checked the types of all my 1972's and that's when I found this. I know these pictures are not the best but it's the best I can do. Also, I did edit the photos to show the Earth better. Is it really a Type 2? photo.jpg photo (5).jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickyh211

rickyh211 Member

Earth is always in the dollars. The eagle is on the moon

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It is indeed a type 2. Nice! I also found one after I picked up 300 Ikes from the bank last time.
    iker1.jpg

5. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

How much do these sell for?

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Depends on the grade. Lets see a complete shot of the front and back of yours. In uncirculated, they sell for around $75. They go up from there for MS62+

7. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I sold an AU50-53 for $40. MS coins typically sell for north of $100 from what I have seen.

8. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

If I were to grade it myself I would say it is the bottom of AU. Hopefully my pictures are more useful than I see them as being. On the reverse you actually can see all the individual feathers and everything on the face. My problem with the coin is the contact marks, which there are a lot of, and some black stuff on the right wing. photo (6).jpg photo (7).jpg

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Can't really tell from these images. From what i see from your original post and these images, the coin appears to maybe have been cleaned.

10. andyluw12

andyluw12 New Member

Ken Potter has an estimate of $80 for fine and $125 for AU in his book "Strike It Rich With Pocket Change". Oh yeah-congratulations on the nice find!! I've got several type 3s but can't seem to get a type 2...color me jealous ;)

11. Merc Crazy

I've been through north of $600 in ikes, and I have 4 T2's found to show for it. And from what I hear, that's doing very good. They're hard to come by, hence the premium for them, although I'd say Potter overpriced them by a solid 2x at minimum.

12. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

So your saying a decent coin dealer would pay $20-30 for my coin?

13. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

"Decent coin dealer" seems like an odd way to put it. If by "decent" you mean "needy", then yes.

I'm not a coin dealer and it took me some time before I realized that it's not a dealer's responsibility to pay me what the Red Book says my coins are worth. Coin dealers buy what they want/need and pass on the rest. If a dealer doesn't offer you what you feel your coins are worth, that doesn't necessarily mean they're "indecent"...(jmho).

14. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

What I meant by decent was a dealer that wasn't just looking for silver because that's all I really have.

15. Merc Crazy

T2's are tough to move, I doubt you'd get over $30 for it on a good day, especially from a dealer.

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I'd pay $40 for that coin.

17. Merc Crazy

What would you pay for a raw MS63-ish example?

18. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Is that an offer?

19. LindeDad

LindeDad His Walker.

Best offer you will probably get and I will give him a vote of confidence as a up front guy. If you found it roll searching really very little chance it is better than AU in grade. So that is a great price offer.

20. Merc Crazy

I pulled my MS example out of circulation... they're not impossible to find in that condition.

21. bradarv90

bradarv90 Member

Well I'll admit mine is not ms and if it were an au it would be the lowest au possible. I was honestly looking to get like $10-20 but I will glad accept $40 with free shipping.

Draft saved Draft deleted