1972 S penny error?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Alex491, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Alex491

Alex491 Boy Scout

I saw this 1972 s penny and I think I found some errors. Shockingly, out of my 300 pennies, this is the only penny I found with an S on it! The L in liberty is kinda moved to the left. Also, the right rim is kinda doubled. Does it have a value? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alex491

Alex491 Boy Scout

Back of 1972 S penny

On the back, the 2nd U in Plumribus, the U is cut in half.

Attached Files:

4. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Even though the coin is blackish, I don't think the coin is a proof. From 1968 to 1974, San Francisco minted circulating pennies in addition to the proofs. About the error, I don't know what it is. It could just be MD (no additional value)

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

It looks like an ordinary 1972-S Lincoln Cent that has taken its share of hits during 39 years of circulation.

6. Gwod Phrienz

Gwod Phrienz Member

Hi, folks. does this 1972 Lincoln looks like the "2" is larger than the "2" on Alex491 post? does large date and small date apply to this variety?

Attached Files:

7. Gwod Phrienz

Gwod Phrienz Member

This is the reverse of the coin, looks like there is something following the D, in God, and the first T in States, is unusually larger that the others.

Attached Files:

8. Coin hooker

Coin hooker New Member

Hi. What makes the 1972 s penny worth more then a penny? And ...what is a proof coin?

9. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Not a proof, just a circulation cent. Damaged coin, worth one cent.
    Save it up for a chocolate bar or something

10. ChristopherCollectsCoin

ChristopherCollectsCoin Active Member

The penny would need to be something with an outstanding error or being in a very high grade to bring any premium. The one in the photos is really just 1 cent face value. And this would be a proof,

20201006_114730.jpg 20201006_114630.jpg

Notice the frosty appearance of the design, some proof coinage may not have this "frosty" look, but will still have a shine like no other normal coin. These are meant for collectors and non circulation. The thing with these coins is that they are struck multiple times to give the coin a more detailed, sharper look, they are more careful with these ones compared to a business strike, which is just your pocket change. Believe me you will notice a difference in a coins appearance compared to proof and mint. Also watch out for cleaned coins, some guy tried to sell me one as a proof when it was only melt value, and careful of proof-like as well, those are coins with luster but not the correct detail, so watch out paying for one.

You should also post your own new thread, they don't like it around here when people bring these posts back up, especially from 2011. But I like helping people new with collecting.

11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Nothing.. A proof coin is a picture of a coin as proof that you have one ;)

Don't believe me? Google "Proof Coin"

Draft saved Draft deleted