1972 Off center error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Austin Gray, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Austin Gray

Austin Gray New Member

We have this 1972 penny that appears to have been stamped off center maybe but it also is ver inset and has a raised rim like, any ideas of if this could be something worth keeping?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Misaligned die strike. The more off center it is, the more value.
    This one is very slight, and it's cool, and I would keep it. But I don't think
    it's worth very much.

paddyman98 and Paddy54 like this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Correct misaligned die strike again cool find but little value. Off center strikes don't carry values as do other error coins. I have nickels off center strikes from 5% -98% off, would be lucky to get $10-15 each and some are full steps.

Michael K and paddyman98 like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

There is a difference
    Misaligned Die Strike - only occurs usually on the Obverse side. If the OP can provide a picture of the Reverse side it would be centered correctly.
    Off Center - Both the Obverse and the Reverse sides are minted off from the center

So this is just a Misaligned Die Strike as stated. The False double Rim is also evidence of this.

Michael K, Paddy54 and tommyc03 like this.
  6. Bill Pfitzer

Bill Pfitzer New Member

I am over 50,been collecting for ages.I have very unique piece,1972 in which motto on line, face appears struck three times,almost penguin nose.I want to have graded & verified as major error by NGC,as have never seen before.Is that correct grading service to send it to?

7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Welcome to CT. Before rushing into grading and all the associated costs involved, post both sides of your coin in focus and choose the Full Image option. There are many experienced members here who can tell you what you may, or not, have.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted