1972 Lincoln penny no mint mark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sumzmommy, May 31, 2016.

1. Sumzmommy

Sumzmommy I'm always looking for the next burried treasure

I was looking up key dates for Lincoln pennys and i happened to have the 1972 no mint error coin!
    After comparing my coin I'm pretty confident that I have the right one.
    I'm asking for another option please!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Cents minted at the Philadelphia Mint in 1972 did not have the P mint mark

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  4. Jdiablo30

Jdiablo30 Well-Known Member

You have a normal coin struck in Philly.

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  5. paddyman98

SunnySeaJay and rzage like this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

There is a doubled die 1972 cent but your's is not it. Sorry.

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There are seven or eight different DDO from Philadelphia in 1972 (Not to mention Master die doubling that affects thirty to fifty percent of the coins for that year). One of them is major and jumps right out at you. You don't have that one. The others are much more minor and require better images and close ups to identify. They tend to be much less valuable. (Some of them just a few dollars)

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I think there are a few more than that. ;)

9. Richman321

Richman321 New Member

I have a 1972 d mint mark, but the d is at Lincolns chest. I've never seen that on a coin. Any advice?

10. paddyman98

Advice.. Create your very own unique thread with pictures. No way a mint mark could end up on the chest as you state. Could be PMD - post mint damage.

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  11. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

its a date to look for as in a DD. but from the looks of it, this one isnt one of them =/

12. Angela May

Angela May New Member

image.jpg image.jpg Seeking advice on a 1972 No Mint Mark Penny that appears to have a very thick rim. Any suggestions?

13. RichErich

RichErich New Member

Curious what feedback you have received on this '72?

14. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

@Sumzmommy, get the 2018 Red Book. It's a cheap introduction to the issues, and it won't do you no harm.

15. 352sdeer

352sdeer Collecting Lincoln cents for 50 years!

Great advice if you don’t have the Redbook then get it it’s got a ton of info and the price guide is close enough on the lower grades to be useful.
    Keep on hunting. The more coins you look at the more knowledge you gain and knowledge is power and protection in this hobby. I always look at coins the same way. That way I don’t miss anything hopefully. 1. Judge if keeper or not. 2. Look over the entire field of the side I’m looking at. 3. Go around again and look at the minor devices. 4. Look at the main device. 5. Check the rim. Now that’s five times. If it’s good into a 2X2 and nite nite. Do it that way and you’ll be surprised how many planchet errors, machine doubling errors, die cracks, double rim errors and the like you will find. Take your time and let it happen

16. Denzel

Denzel New Member

I have a 1972 d penny with a faded chest what do u guys think about that

Attached Files:

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Welcome to CT. You have a normal coin worth one cent.

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  18. R420

R420 New Member

Is this a error on the corner right top roof ,it's a c IMG_20190605_095511.jpg racking the top corner off

19. R420

R420 New Member

I would be thankful if someone could share some light please.it's a 1969s Penney.look like a P is there,which seems to be cracking the top corner off

20. paddyman98

Please create your own unique separate thread. What you just did is called highjacking a thread. Not nice.

21. R420

R420 New Member

My apology! New to this Learning .I will make my own post! Again my apology.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted