1972 half dollar planchet error?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Thelionwarrior, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

If this is a troll thread, I admire the posters dedication to the trolling. Nearly 3 years :eek:

Jwt708 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Thelionwarrior

Thelionwarrior Active Member

Nope. I recently found out from someone who doesnt just post on message boards like people here that there is a possibility this coin was in fact released from the mint in this condition. Now waiting for confirmation from the mint and more info. If anything is for n certain it is that some who think they know it all truly have no clue.

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Well if you are being serious, there are two obvious facts to consider here:

1. If the coin were struck on a multi-sided planchet by accident, the dies and collar used to trike Kennedy halves are round. So even if the planchet was a different shape, the pressure of the strike would cause it to expand and assume the round shape of the collar.

2. If the planchet were struck in a die used to strike the Australian coin, it would bear the design of the Australian coin rather than that of the Kennedy half.

So, how do you propose the coin could have been minted like this?

PS: That 1959 cent with wheat reverse you mentioned in a previous post is widely deemed to be a fake by experts.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Thelionwarrior

Yet every "expert" wishes they had the coin. I will post more info when I get it. Not saying anything else at this point. My post yesterday was really just to provide other people the means of starting their own investigation. Funny how none of the "experts" on here could provide that info. Lol

6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I have only been studying and collecting coins for a bit over 45 years, and have seen a few error coins in that time. I don't claim to know it all, there is always more to learn. Many error coins have been made, but some knowledge of the minting process in this case quickly rules out the possibility of your coin being an error. If you are convinced, the best bet would be to send it to PCGS, there is more knowledge there on coins than at the mint. The mint is a producer of coinage for commerce, not knowledgeable experts on errors and varieties.

Kentucky and Kirkuleez like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

If you are really that into it, go another step, take a clad Kennedy half, put it in a vice and tap on the edges with a hammer and see if you can't duplicate it.

8. Thelionwarrior

Tell you what. You do it and show me the results. Then you can see the difference yourself.

9. Thelionwarrior

I'll challenge any of you. Duplicate my coin.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What will you pay?

silentnviolent likes this.
  11. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

But as a collector I find it improper to intentionally damage a coin in the way that yours is damaged.

Has the mint sent you any information? I really can't wait for that so that I can learn how this could have possibly happened at the mint.

12. sgt23

sgt23 Active Member

I feel bad for this guy when the mint lets him down.

13. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Can you share pics of the edge while the coin is standing on edge? Especially where the rim is rolled over. I am always interested in coins like these. Where did you get the coin?

14. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

The 1972 50 cent Australian coin is worth $55 in MS-60. Might be a coin to look for. I think the Australian coin has a smooth edge.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The coin that you have posted has straight edges. The perimeter lettering has been also straightened. My guess is PMD Have you tried weighing it?
    20150319_202603.jpg

16. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

You guys are overlooking an obvious way that this happened at the mint...

A worker on lunch break brought a half dollar with him. Took out a hammer and flattened the edges. He then went and spent it. Totally from the mint.

17. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

The OP is obviously trolling. If not, then he is much like the people who used to believe the Earth was flat. They had "Proof" by watching the ship fall off the edge. His proof about this coin, is that we have minted coins for other countries that had flat edges. But he obviously knows nothing about the actual minting process..

18. Thelionwarrior

Tell ya what ... take a hammer to a half dollar and try to recreate this. Bet ya can't. Wouldn't say that if I hadn't tried. The out come is no where near what this coin looks like or how evenly matched each side is. Funny I recently posted a picture of my 1959 dime I found in my mint set. The dime was damaged by the sealer when the package was sealed.... yet all the experts were guessing it was chomped up in the washer or damaged by vice grips or whatever. So.... sorry if I don't believe so called experts like yourself when people couldn't even notice something like that. Every coin has a story and this one is becoming more and more of a story as the emails keep coming. :)

19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Do you think a ten sided planchet for a twelve sided coin was struck by the Kennedy dies? I'm curious how you think this happened. Do you have any ideas or are you waiting for the Mint or the people you're emailing to tell you? What seems most likely here? I'm just curious not trying to upset.

20. Thelionwarrior

I personally dont know... course I didn't know before foreign currencies were minted at the US mint. I also didn't know before that US coins were released with foreign printing and vice versa. I also didn't realize before that angry mint workers or workers hoping to profit from errors purposely created coins and let them slide through.

21. Thelionwarrior

I'm also pretty sure it was mentioned before that that same pattern may not be the pattern that created this....

Draft saved Draft deleted