1972 Doubled Die ☺️ 3rd time may be a charm...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WizardofAwes, Feb 23, 2017.

1. WizardofAwes

WizardofAwes Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Love to hear your thoughts. ThankU So much. As I have been given some knew knowledge on things to look for. I've reprogrammed some of what it is I'm looking for... I came across in this 1972 in my coin . ☺️ A greater Possible Doubled die . What do you think about this one ?
    I will only get better and better

imprezax06, tommyc03 and Curtisimo like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think it definitely has potential! It's also a misaligned die.

Chris

WizardofAwes likes this.
  4. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Your hard work has paid off. It looks like you have found a DDO FS-103 also listed as WDDO-003 on John Wexler's site here. http://www.doubleddie.com/384301.html

Now you know what to look for. You can also use the site I posted above to cross reference any other potential finds you may come across. It is full of great information on diagnostics to check your coins for specific varieties.

WizardofAwes likes this.
  5. WizardofAwes

WizardofAwes Member

Cool ☺️ Misaligned die?

6. WizardofAwes

WizardofAwes Member

Properness ☺️☺️☺️ I Love it . This is so fun

Curtisimo likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes. You see the False Double Rim to the right of the date. That occurs when the Hammer Die Is Misaligned and does not strike the Blank Planchet in the proper center. The Reverse side will have the centered look.
    This happened a lot in Cents from the early 70's... Such as yours.

WizardofAwes likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just wanted to add to my previous post... In this case of a False Rim it is considered a Double Rim not Doubled.
    In a Doubled Die it is Doubled not Double. Got it? :woot:

lija66 and WizardofAwes like this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

OK, so this is a DDO FS-103. Please interpret for me if that is a coin that will enable him to buy a new house or a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Being humorous (I hope) but also seriously wanting to know how much errors like this are worth.

WizardofAwes likes this.
  10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Unfortunately, it's just a maybe on a coffee at Starbucks, but certainly one at the corner gas station. This particular variety is, for some reason, quite plentiful when compared to others of the date and isn't particularly valuable. Excellent find and a heartfelt congrats to the OP on his discovery, but just isn't one that's going to get him closer to retirement.

WizardofAwes and Kentucky like this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Thanks Books, kind of what I thought, fun to find, nice to keep, but not quite like finding a 1955 DD Lincoln.

WizardofAwes likes this.
  12. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Great find! I just recently found my first 72 ddo (8), they are out there, so keep looking and you will find more.

13. BooksB4Coins

Unfortunately, no... The "big" 72 DDO (#1) can be a very exciting and fairly valuable find, and #4, although nowhere near as significant can be quite valuable due to it's scarcity, but none of the 72s are to the level or popularity of the 55 or the ultimate 69-S.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes a DDO, no, not the biggie

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Congrats on your find. Persistence pays off and it's enviable in a nice way.

16. imprezax06

imprezax06 Active Member

Congrats on your find Very exiting stuff. I do have a question for you guys? how do you go about finding doubled dies? Do you look at every individual coin With the naked eye or do you use some sore of apparatus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WizardofAwes likes this.
  17. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Uh, a loupe. Maybe a magnifying lens when looking at several but yeah a loupe when ya think ya got somethin.

18. WizardofAwes

WizardofAwes Member

I do set time aside to look at coins and new bought rolls to search through with light and magnification ☺️☺️

19. WizardofAwes

WizardofAwes Member

Great question . To the point

Kentucky likes this.
  20. WizardofAwes

WizardofAwes Member

Yah. This coins Personal Value is much higher than its auction to me ☺️. This is my first and highest ranking penny that has come my way . Ive created good spots in which I feel I can get greater possibilities ( chances ) of getting selects coins ☺️ . And more fishing holes are near by with prize winners for sure ☺️ I can feel it and am doing my part to create them . Right?
    I have my first nice silver dollar I won at redondo beach arcade and this 1972 doubled .
    It would have been nice I believe to have had my Father Grand Father introduce pass done some coins and some knowledge and some Love of ☺️coins . How they are much more then just a coin ☺️☺️ It is so much greater Deeper we study about them and there History . On this more than Amazing journey... To be continued

Kentucky likes this.
  21. BooksB4Coins

Kudos to you, sir. Tis a fine outlook and approach to your new hobby. :)

WizardofAwes and Kentucky like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted