1972 Double Die Penny!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by shawnsusie, Jan 25, 2011.

1. shawnsusie

shawnsusie Member

1972 Double Die Penny! Found yesterday. Whats the value?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

No way! Awesome!:thumb:

4. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

congratz on the great find..Looking on HA.com and seeing what that went for in MS65 (ranged from $250 - $700), I would guess that may be in a $100 range...Hopefully RLM will respond who will be more accurate then I on this.

I would think your lincoln would be in a VF-XF condition but cant tell for sure without seeing the reverse.

5. sro114

sro114 New Member

It is hard to give a real good estimate of value with current pic. From the photo I was thinking high EF but may be wrong. I'm betting Shoewrecky is pretty accurate on the value.

That is a great find - Congratulations!

6. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

There are 12 1972 doubled die obverse varieties liasted on www.coppercoins.com with only a couple of them being worth more than a few bucks in this condition. The pics aren't clear enough to say for sure but this may be a 1972P-1DO-008 which is worth about $10 in AU. Still a very nice find.

Richard

7. shawnsusie

shawnsusie Member

8. shawnsusie

shawnsusie Member

9. Shoewrecky

Shoewrecky Coin Hoarder

looks more like a

[FONT=Verdana,]1972P-1DO-001 [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

10. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

Thank you for the clearer pics! I agree with shoewrecky. Congratulations!

11. shawnsusie

shawnsusie Member

Thank you! I'm a newbie as of two weeks ago and I was so excited when I found it! Now i'm really hooked!! Thanks everyone for all the information!!

Bambam8778 likes this.
  12. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There are copies of these around. I couldn't see the confirming indication for a real one, as the photo was cut off , so you might look at this link http://www.cointalk.com/showthread.php?t=68918&pagenumber=
    and look at post #13, the bottom photo that shows the die gouge over the "D" of "UNITED". That is found on all 1972/72 die 1 cents.

Jim

13. shawnsusie

shawnsusie Member

I just got done reading about that little finger that is above the D, and I looked and it does have it thankfully!!!!:)

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Congratulations !

Jim

15. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

Hell of a find. Congrats... I still haven't found one, been searching quite a while.

16. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

:thumb:

Excellent find!

17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Congrats! It looks to be EF/AU as well.

For future reference...the correct term is DoublED Die....with an D at the end.

18. Barron K.

Barron K. New Member

While you are "Correcting" People you SHOULD "Know" your English Better. It would Actually be "a D" not "an D". An A, an E, an O, an I. Came 2 "Coin School" today and got AN "English Lesson". Not A Day goes by where Sumthin isn't "Learned" ol' "Wise One".lol

Kylie Shields likes this.
  19. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Typo, welcome to the forums. You obviously don't know me yet. I do not need AN English lesson, I write technical stuff everyday professionally.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Barron K.
    Hey guy.. Are you serious? You need to calm down! Let's look at a few of your grammar errors.
    No need for a capital a in the word actually since it's the third word in your sentence.

Again.. Capital a and capital d in the word day. And what the heck is the word Sumthin?

And finally.. there is no need for so many "quotation" marks!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  21. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

Wow a 5 year old thread brought back from the dead to razz someone LMAO!

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted