1972 DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by pennsteve, Jul 26, 2015.

1. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

I was getting into checking boxes of cents from the bank, but after about ten boxes of finding nothing, I gave up about a year ago. I still go through my pocket change to look for key dates before I put my change in a container, and today I found a good one! I couldn't believe it when I saw it. Sorry about the picture quality, I was trying to get my camera steady because I can't find my tripod. Also, some lint fell off of my camera onto the coin. I guess I should have dusted off the camera first. :-\

1972C.jpg 1972B.jpg 1972A.jpg

coinMD, imm2004, furryfrog02 and 13 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

4. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

AA CC HH OO OO !! Nice find!

7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

epic find of the year. sweet find. :jawdrop::cool:

8. pennsteve

I just wish it was in better condition, but I'm not complaining.

DionHurst likes this.
  9. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

10. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Sweet!

Super Freaking Sweet!

11. LuckyDoggy

LuckyDoggy Member

Never give up searching, they are out there. Nice find.

12. pennsteve

I was just looking on Wexlers website and my coin looks like a variety 1 or 2, but I don't see any of the die markers. Either the coin is too dirty or I'm not using a high enough magnification or it's fake?

Edit: I just weighed it. It's 3.1 grams as it should be. Will die markers disappear over time when a coin is circulated?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  13. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

If thats fake it is pretty good. Still nice! It seems the collectors are interested on some coins that look good to them even if they, "are how do you say "?.....well errors that have been made with or by someones hand.

14. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Die markers never disappear but they can certainly be harder to identify with circulation wear. I'd say you have a genuine die 1.
    http://coppercoins.com/lincoln/diestate.php?date=1972&die_id=1972p1do001&die_state=eds

15. Naplesjack

Naplesjack Member

Outstanding. Not withstanding the photo quality, your DDO excels in quality, dwarfing all other considerations. Besides it reinvigorates my determination to find some varieties / errors in change or BWR.
    Congrads for being attentive.

DionHurst likes this.
  16. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

nice snag there =0)

now it makes you want to get another box of change from the bank =0)

DionHurst likes this.
  17. pennsteve

I have a cheap set of loupes I got at harbor freight a few years ago. I put the 3x inside the 5x and also have a little magnifying lens I got out of a broken monocular. This lens fits right inside of the loupes. I can just make out the die scratch that runs between the I and T when I turn it a certain way in the light.

18. pennsteve

Here are some better pictures of the date and liberty. I need to get more lighting. 1972ddo4.jpg 1972ddo5.jpg

eric6794, dlhill132 and KurtS like this.
  19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Strike damage, spend it. :D

With luck like that, who needs to go to coin shows? Well done, Sherlock! :)

20. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

I'll second the 'nice snag!' comment, so, NICE SNAG!!!Where the images are, well, not the greatest to 'guess the grade' by, what do you put the grade at????

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Draft saved Draft deleted