1972 DDO with Rotated reverse

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by clbchiro, Jan 19, 2015.

1. clbchiro

clbchiro Member

Sat Jan 17 14-14-49.jpg Sat Jan 17 14-15-20.jpg Sat Jan 17 14-16-02.jpg Sat Jan 17 14-23-39.jpg IMG_20150119_112303963.jpg IMG_20150119_112511804_HDR.jpg Found this a few days ago, didn't notice it was rotated until I put in a 2x2. Is there a premium for it being a DDO and a Rotated die? The rotation is only about 10-15%.
    This is the first time I've tried imaging the front and back of the coin at same time. Sat Jan 17 14-14-49.jpg Sat Jan 17 14-15-20.jpg Sat Jan 17 14-16-02.jpg Sat Jan 17 14-23-39.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Nice!

clbchiro likes this.
  4. shiny coins for life

shiny coins for life Active Member

Cool doubled die and brilliant way of getting the picture! I have no idea about the value but great find.

clbchiro likes this.
  5. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

Not sure which die # but way cool doubling. I always look for that cool doubling on any 1972 cent. I think most novice hunters just look at the date for the big $$$ one.

clbchiro likes this.
  6. clbchiro

clbchiro Member

I think it is an DDO-003. I found it roll hunting, also found a 1972 d DDO.
    I just wondered about the rotation and whether it was a factor and could increase the value. The DDO-003 listed around $20-35 in XF-AU.

7. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Sweet find and you imaged that with your phone? Awesome find both obv and rev..

clbchiro likes this.
  8. clbchiro

clbchiro Member

Only the pictures with the 2x2 was done with the phone. The others were done with a USB microscope from ebay.

9. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Still nice

10. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

Which USB do you have? Mine didn't work out right!

11. clbchiro

clbchiro Member

Thanks, I can't figure out this forum. It's called "What's it Worth" and yet no one ever know's what it's worth!!! It's still the best forum as far as I'm concerned though. I really enjoy seeing what others come up with every day.

12. clbchiro

clbchiro Member

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. I tend to avoid quoting a value because one coin can sell for $xxx one day, and an identical coin can sell for $x a few days later. It all depends on how many people are chasing it.

I don't collect Lincoln cents, but even if I did, I wouldn't try to guess a value on your coin because the full-coin photos are very bad.

Chris

14. clbchiro

clbchiro Member

I completely understand that a coin (or anything else) only has a value of what someone is willing to pay. But on the same note, there is an intrinsic value assigned to everything. For example, a $20 double eagle is worth more than $20 even if that was all I was willing to pay for it. Like I mentioned before, Wexlers (doubleddie.com) has this coin listed at $20-35 in XF-AU (which I am positive XF would be the lowest my coin would be graded). That value does not include any rotation on the reverse though.
    I'm not interested in finding out what the value is on eBay by trying to sell it, because then I would be obligated to sell it, which I don't want to do.
    I would assume that having a DDO would appeal to DDO collectors, but it also has a rotated die which would appeal to rotated die collectors. Combining the 2, how many collectors have a DDO with a rotated die, or a rotated die with a DDO?
    Would that increase a coins value?
    So, does a DDO coin with a rotated reverse, even though only about 10-15 degree rotation, increase the value?

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can quote all the price guides you want, but I've never found one that is even closely accurate. The rotated die is immaterial. A 10-15% rotation is about the same as having a 3-5% O/C strike.

Chris

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I forget the exacts, but 10-15% is either within, or darn close to being within mint tolerances, so I wouldn't put much into hoping the seemingly minor rotation is going to add much to the value. To achieve an additional premium you would likely have to fluff it into being something it does not appear to be.

Value-wise, #3 does not seem to carry the real world premiums some claim, or should I say they used to not carry them. I years past I bought a fair number of this variety, which suggests it is quite common compared to others, for just a couple bucks a pop, and in similar to better condition than yours seems to be. I would think that if you can get $20 out of it, you'd be doing well, but as the other gentleman said, all comes down to what one is willing to pay and/or connecting with the "right" person.

Draft saved Draft deleted