1972 D 1c DDR missing initials

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Bargainbidder, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Bargainbidder

Bargainbidder Well-Known Member

I can take more pics if necessary but I can't find any information other than missing FG initials are due to grease strike. Would that mean reverse doubling lettering MD?
    Munchas Gracias

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

4. Bargainbidder

Bargainbidder Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information because the 1969 is well known but I have this and I found the 1971 with floating roof and initials can barely be seen so guess I should put them in a set. Much like the different type of B.I.E. chips from the 1950's.

capthank likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Greased and cleaned . Thanks for sharing .

LaCointessa and Bargainbidder like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Overpolished Die causes the missing initails and Floating Roof.

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

There's no die doubling but there are grease plugs. On the no-FG, the consensus has it as described, here, although it has taken a bumpy ride over the years with experts even reluctant to nail down the precise cause. That said, heavy polishing, especially when over an already grease filled cavity, would leave no traces like that.

LaCointessa and paddyman98 like this.
  8. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

Overpolished dies and striking the coin thru grease can create the "floating roof" effect and the FG disappearance. i just don't know enough about the 2 processes to make a positive determination. it is possible that both the overpolished dies and striking the coin thru grease happened together causing the results you see. the more experienced members i always look to have given different explanations. i would say to research all the possible answers and make a decision after that. you could always send the coin to PCGS. NGC, ICG, and ANACAS and let one of them tell you the answer
    Overpolished die/struck through heavy grease cent error
    i read about the two processes working together on CCF https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.aspTOPIC_ID=301600

hope this helps, good luck

Draft saved Draft deleted