1972 cud? MD?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by dlp_dlp21, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Well, if English wasn’t your first language, you’d have gotten a pass. It’s clear to me you do not understand the minting process and that you also are not willing to learn about it because you already “know it all”.

It’s great to stand up for yourself, but there’s a point in time where you have to ask yourself “why is EVERYONE” telling me I’m wrong, except for a junior member who also does not understand the minting process. Standin your ground isn’t a demonstration of your endurance, but your refusal to learn and adapt. I’m done wasting my time here. That coin has no added value, MDD Stands for machine doubling damage, there’s no such thing as a master double die being different from a regular doubled die. You two have only enough information to make yourselves sound like you know what you are talking about, meaning unwitting newbies might stupidly take your advice. Please stop offering advice; you are clearly not well-educated in terms of the minting process and errors. Anyone can look at the Wexler website; looking at it doesn’t make you an expert. Please STOP trying to advise people on this forum. Leave that to the experts.

Victor Vazquez likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Let me clarify. Master dies are made from hubs. Dies are made from the master die. There, that's better. There's no such acronym as MDD for machine doubling damage. It stands for master die doubling. So as for problems with acronyms, it helps to know what they stand for.

4. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

There can be master die doubling as well as working hub doubling, so when you learn enough about how things work then you can give advice. No such thing as master die doubling? Where do you get your facts?

5. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Btw, number of posts on a forum has nothing to do with expertise.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Did you read ANY of the links I provided you? I provided you an essay by one of the foremost experts on errors who says MDD is machine doubling damage. I provided you two separate CoinTalk acronym lists that clarify that MDD is machine doubling damage. Somehow you are just going to ignore all that evidence and try to pretend they don’t exist?

7. Seattlite86

Thanks for adding yourself to that list.

8. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Go to Error-ref.com and look up master die doubling.

9. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Machine doubling is damage. You don't have to add damage to the end. Kinda like saying ATM machine!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

@enamel7 you need to do a better job of discerning between a master hub and a master die. Both use the word master. There are also working hubs and working dies. Words mean things, and you’re not doing yourself any favors by failing to use the proper terminology.

11. Seattlite86

I’d tell you to take that up with Alan, but he’s dead, so I guess that kind of kills this conversation.

12. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

As for your links, one is for the site's own acronyms. The other is the author's personal acronym, not necessarily a well observed one.

13. Seattlite86

Show me where it uses the acronym MDD. I'll wait.
    http://www.error-ref.com/master-die-doubling/

When you make up your own acronym, don’t be mad, or attempt to be insulting, when your made up acronym isn’t accepted.

14. Seattlite86

You mean CT’s own acronyms? The site we are both on and using? You mean to say that’s the list I’m following and you are not? Also, Alan coined MDD back in 1999. It’s already taken, so you’ll need to stop using MDD for master die doubling. You’ll note that NONE of the prominent error sites use the acronym in that at (probably because Alan already applied it). I appreciate that you have a baseline knowledge on numismatics, but victor here does not and you shouldn’t be encouraging him.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Yes that looks like a legit CUD and it seems like MD or die deterioration doubling on the "72". I cannot say about doubling on any other of the design elements but I can say that I have never seen MD on both sides of a coins devices as someone said was usually the case. Nice find!

16. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

All forums use their own acronyms, just like this one. This is the only one I know of that uses MDD. All others use MD for machine or mechanical doubling. In either case, they don't apply to the doubling that is on the majority of 1972 cents. I'm done.

17. Seattlite86

Thanks for recognizing the correct terminology. MDD and MD are the same thing. Has been since 1999. Have a great day.

paddyman98 and Cheech9712 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted