1972 Cent DDO

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by dchjr, May 2, 2016.

1. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

There is doubling on some of the letters but not all. The most pronounced is the E in WE. Also, on the Reverse, there is something in the bay at the top with old Abe.
    I can't tell which variety this is, if it is a true DD. The initials on back also look doubled.
    1652212117934.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If it looks like this, then yes you found a 1972 DDO. From your pictures, no. What you have looks like MD, Machine Doubling. In a true '72 DDO the entire Motto, Date and Liberty are doubled as seen in the attached photo. When you see one, there's no mistake, you'll know for sure, without question.

[​IMG]

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

OP's coin is no DDO. It's closeups of the strike, which is always imperfect.

5. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

Technically speaking, this is a doubled die, but it is from a doubled master die and this doubling shows up on coins from all the mints. It has no added value.

secCoinHunter likes this.
  6. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

I knew it wasn't a WDDO-001 or 002 with the obvious separation, but thought it might be a 006. I should of looked further down the listing. I see on Wexler's that it is probably the early die state of the WMDO-001 (Doubled Master Die), since it shows the the tripling of the E like in the picture below, and also the IN.

What about the area of the reverse above Lincoln? You can see it in the full coin reverse picture and the closeup. Chip?

I guess I'll keep it for later comparison and keep looking. Thanks.
    http://doubleddie.com/384301.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Stoneman2

Stoneman2 New Member

That is very interesting. 1972-D WDDR-001 is very similar. As no ddr's are listed for Philadelphia issues of this year you may want to send this one to Wexler

8. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Yes, I see what you say. May have to send it. Thanks.

9. anderspud

anderspud Active Member

Was not able to see any doubled die. What did intrigue were the additional lines in the lower left side of the memorial steps: they look like extensions of the images steps. The doubled ear looks like the doubled ear that the big Red Book showed for thr 1984 cent.

10. logan leamon

logan leamon New Member

i hav a penny that is a 1979 the last 9 in the date i doubled

11. dchjr

dchjr Well-Known Member

Logan, you should start a new thread and post pictures of your coin. To start a new Thread, go to the main Forum page of the Error Coins and click the button at the top right that says "Post New Thread".
    upload_2016-6-6_10-44-42.png

12. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

It's from the doubled master die, but there may be something more going on there, so I believe it should go to wexler too.

dchjr likes this.
  13. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

72-Droof.jpg I have the 1972-D ddr. Its more pronounced with a bigger piece of the roof doubled. I don't know if the OP has a die chip there or some damage but it's not the ddr for that year.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  14. secCoinHunter

secCoinHunter Member

I agree, this coin holds a special place in my heart because it's what drew me back into the hobby. As a kid I collected with my grandpa, he would take me to the LCS frequently. I saved all my stuff and about a year ago started going through my collection and found a mint souvenir bag containing 15 1972 uncirculated pennies, 5 from each mint. They looked different, and upon further investigation I was convinced I found a bag with 15 DDO's....I just knew I hit the mother load. It took a couple forums of people saying master hub doubling and finally Bill Fivaz himself saying "I'm afraid you have nothing special son, these are common doubles resulting from a master die" (or something to that effect.) This is when I learned that sometimes it's best to listen and not try to convince the very people your asking for help that they are wrong lol

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  15. FM13

FM13 Member

What do you think of this one?

Attached Files:

16. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

The last photo is of Master die doubling too.

Draft saved Draft deleted