1972 Canadian Voyageur dollar

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by snaz, Jun 15, 2010.

1. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Hey everyone, just looking for some honest grade opinions here. I would like to know what YOU think this coin grades.[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

65 easy I'd say, might even go 66. Couple of tiny hits on each side and a minor strike through error bottom center of obv, but that's it.

4. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Thanks Doug,
    I am leaning one grade higher than you.
    66, maybe 67...
    Heck I suppose I could just say MS66+

EDIT: Put in request for thread to be moved

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I think the coin is a no brainer at MS66 but I would hesitate to give it MS67 without seeing it in hand. It appears from the photos at least that the luster may be muted a tad by the toning which might keep it at the MS66 grade.

All in all, a fantastic coin from my birthyear. Sweet!

6. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Right, I think we're kinda on the same boat then. PCGS graded it SP67, now to be 100% honest I'm not even sure I inserstand what SP means. I mean... Doesn't that just mean that it is a nice clean MS coin? What do they mean by specimen? I found a definition online where they didn't even mention anything about # of strikes, or hand polished dies. Nothing like a proof coin. So what seperates a SP coin, from an MS coin?

7. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

SP is Specimen Proof. A kind of proof set issued by Canada and other countries.

8. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Yeah, I know that much, but it is the actual striking process I'm curious about.

9. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

From http://www.mint.ca/store/template/home.jsp

10. GDJMSP

Yes. It's not a business strike and it's not a Proof, that's why they call them Specimen. Similar in that regard to the matte finish US nickels in '94 & '97.

11. snaz

snaz Registry fever

So Specimen coins are not considered business strikes? Would they count in a business strike registry set?

12. GDJMSP

Never having cared one way or the other, that I don't know.

Draft saved Draft deleted