1972, Canadian one Cent struck on wrong planchet. Help please.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by snaz, Oct 5, 2013.

1. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

good post , now I know why I keep finding these paper thin copper coins. I suppose when the rim of a coin is dissolved in acid this would automaticaly make the coin look thinner.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Good information, did you catch the final weight of the coin, and the volume of acid, and for quantitative analysis the concentration of Cu in the acid would have been nice to correlate to the loss off the cent? Final pH would have interesting to correlate to stoichiometry - change in log of the hydrogen ion concentration vs theoretical water evolved.

You didn't add water to the acid did you? Never be placid - add water to acid :)

4. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

No, we didn't do the after weight of the coins since the whole class did it there would have been all kinds of variations since not everyone stopped the reaction at the same time.

It was just to show that nitric acid and copper reacted together. It wasn't an experiment to figure out everything about the reaction.

It wasn't my idea, but the professor told us to stop the reaction by adding water directly into the reaction in the flask. There wasn't much of a reaction ( just some minor bubbling. I expected more of a reaction but, this is just a guess, maybe the suspended copper ions did something to the acid water reaction to calm it a bit. Like I said though we didn't take measurements of the aftermath.

And yeah, it would have been interesting to take final measurements but it was just a short lab period.

5. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

The OP comes in at 66% original weight. We don't know about the anecdotal coin you showed. I'd like to see a similar coin after having lost a third of itself to acid and see how much detail remained. Given what we have so far, the proffer that it took an acid bath as an explanation for the coins weight being off despite being a possibility is no certainty.

Perhaps your professor was trying to give you a dramatic lab safety example that you would never forget.

I had an interesting experience walking past a university lab door to the hallway I noticed a fire through that little vertical glass in the door which was locked. I sent the nearest person to get help/notify, and found that the next door lab was unlocked and the connecting room (where they keep all the good stuff) allowed me to get in, I put out the fire with the extinguisher before anybody got there.

Days later I was introduced to the Prof who's lab I saved (only because another prof who knew me happened to be speaking to him and called me over as I happened by to make the introduction). He has the impression of goggles on his face and all around it is an old burn wound scar. Somehow that didn't surprise me. Also, when the other prof explained to him why he was making the introduction the guy just said OK. Never said nice to meet you or thank you or anything. He made quite the impression.

Draft saved Draft deleted