1971 Quarter Doubling?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by agrace97, Oct 14, 2019.

1. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Hi! I keep searching through my giant jar of change and trying to learn about coin differences. I noticed this 1971 Quarter and it seems to be off center (newly learned term from one of my other forums:happy:) 4373A151-46F2-4034-B282-9B6D41AA6FC7.jpeg E73541ED-6367-4B0E-A945-3D1093A01556.jpeg 43EF16C0-5812-4421-B712-39930222CA78.png D229E2FB-7278-4FBB-B086-4554DE68B73D.png 73754953-7C35-4BF8-95B1-A8EEDDB04100.png Was it made in Philadelphia since there is no mint mark? I also noticed that on the back side of the quarter (reverse?), the “United” seems somewhat covered and mashed together. Any advice/knowdlege on this coin or what to look for as I continue my search?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

A general comment: you'll find that for various coin denominations, the obverse and reverse images may appear different. Here is a link to a page at Variety Vista that will show you the various obverse and reverse designs for the Washington Quarter. http://varietyvista.com/09b WQ Vol 2/Design Varieties.htm

agrace97 likes this.
  4. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Oh wow! Very interesting to know and look for! Thank you!

5. Kevin Mader

agrace97 likes this.
  6. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Thank you! I’ll keep looking :)

Kevin Mader likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Nothing extraordinary........

agrace97 likes this.
  8. Kevin Mader

Nice pictures by the way. Using a flat/matte backing and cropping the pictures will draw the eye to the coin. You are off to a great start. Have fun with the picture taking/scanning.

agrace97 likes this.
  9. agrace97

agrace97 Member

I agree! I’ve seen some extraordinary coins as I’ve been researching! I’ll keep on looking :)

Kevin Mader likes this.
  10. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

And I should say......welcome to the forum.

agrace97 likes this.
  11. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Yes, welcome to coin talk. I had to ask, or at least bring it up. Try to get into the habit of flipping your coin straight up and down. Meaning, if you have the profile of Washington oriented to true North and south, when you flip the coin to check the Reverse, make sure you don't have a Rotated Die. I mean if you FIND a rotated die, it has a premium that is conditional with the amount of rotation. The more the rotation, the higher the value.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Foo out.

agrace97 likes this.
  12. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Thank you! I’m excited to continue my search and research!

13. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Interesting! I haven’t heard of a Rotated Die! I’ll try that tomorrow and see if I notice anything! :)

14. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Thank you!

green18 likes this.
  15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Removed 2 duplicates of thread.

agrace97 likes this.
  16. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Thank you! Did not mean to spam post, had internet connection issues when submitting.

17. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's worn and it's a spender. Welcome to CT.

agrace97 likes this.
  18. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

We have no way of knowing if it is a rotated die or just a rotated coin when turned over as there is no point of reference.

agrace97 likes this.
  19. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Is there a way for me to post a short video of rotating the coin instead of just a picture?

20. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

You can use a mirror in the picture like this to show rotation. This token is about 90 degrees rotated. PhotoEditor_20191014_194924729.jpg

agrace97 likes this.
  21. agrace97

agrace97 Member

Okay so I did this in the mirror and there is no rotation. Thank you for the information, will have to do research and use this trick on other coins!

Razz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted