1971 p ddo Lincoln cent

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by some-willie.willieWANT, Oct 28, 2019.

1. some-willie.willieWANT

some-willie.willieWANT Active Member

Please help me identify the variety sorry for the pics I take them on my phone 20191028_223635.jpg 20191028_223635.jpg 20191028_223743.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Please post clear photos of both sides of the entire coin in addition to the words IN GOD WE TRUST. That will help determine what you have.Thank you.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I see some machine doubling on the date, but that's it!

Chris

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

MD on the date, no value

Evan Saltis likes this.
  6. some-willie.willieWANT

Thanks for the knowledge, I will try to get some better pics all I have is my phone and a loop..

7. some-willie.willieWANT

I need to get you guys better pics

8. cpm9ball

That isn't necessary. Machine doubling won't miraculously change into hub doubling with "better pics".

Chris

Chuck_A and enamel7 like this.
  9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I see 2 directions of shift on the date, west and north. I’m leaning toward deterioration of the die, LDS, just before they retired it.

I am not an expert but wouldn’t MD be the result of a single direction of shift?

I am in the corner coloring in my book now...Spark

10. cpm9ball

Wouldn't a die shift from northeast to southwest account for the machine doubling on both of these sides?

Chris

11. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

You could be right, who knows how the die actually shifted, anyway? But logic says a movement from the northeast is away from north, opposite of the direction the die appears to have been moving, so MD would show on the top of the date if a northeast shift downward.

And, the coin could have shifted, not the die.

I am always open to correction, am I applying faulty logic? I fully admit I am not a die expert...Spark

12. cpm9ball

It's only supposition by both of us.

Chris

Spark1951 likes this.
  13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

NAV coin, no added value doubling.

Spark1951 likes this.
  14. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

Go to doubleddie.com/58222.html for more information or take it to your local coin dealer. I'm terrible at pictures too. Value can only be determined by recent sales of any coin and most likely it wouldn't be worth much if it was an error. A good picture of the entire coin would be helpful as well. Good luck
    I apologize for not reading the entire post if I repeated an answer.

15. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

MD. I suspect that if ddd was in play here the devices would be thicker/wider and the deterioration toward the rim would be more obvious. The L looks sharp and distinct from the rim.

Draft saved Draft deleted