1971 Lincoln Memorial coin... I think...

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RachelRuth, Apr 27, 2018.

1. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

What's wrong with this coin? Every single device has extreme thickness. It's pretty though.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm going to say it was either affected by extreme heat or it was dipped in acid but not for a long period of time.
    If only one side would of been affected then I would of thought Struck through a capped die. But that's a different issue.

4. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

Except that doesn't really explain like above the "We"... Least not to me anyways. I see several of the tops of the "W" mostly. Especially in the second picture.

5. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

This coin came from a full book of Lincolns that all look brand new. Got it for 5. The lady said that her father passed away and she doesn't have any use for them. I said well, okay then. Thank you.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It is unusual looking, but I suspect it was tumbled, either mechanically like in a dryer, or a rock tumbler, or even environmentally, like if it spent a while on the beach in the surf, but ... I don't know for sure.

I reckon @paddyman98's theories about heat or acid also sound as reasonable as anything I could think of.

But either way, we're almost certainly looking at post-mint damage, here.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
    eddiespin and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

PMD Hot Hot Hot or the other thing. Lol
    Dave

8. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

That was my first thought when I seen it was extreme heat. It's getting replaced as well speak with a nicer looking undamaged coin. ;). I didn't even think about tumbler but that sounds like it could be as well.

Thanks y'all.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, a dryer coin. Just rattling round in there like it ain't got no sense.

10. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

Weighed it just in case anyone was wondering and it's 3.1 g.

Figured it would weigh less to be honest.

11. RachelRuth

RachelRuth Active Member

That sounds very logical. Dryer coin. Poor little thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted