1971 Kennedy Half Dollar VERY Strange Error on Reverse. Trying to figure out what it is.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Stephen Betz, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Stephen Betz

Stephen Betz Active Member

So I got a box of halves and found a few good coins, no silver, but I found this one, thought it was damaged because it looked so weird but when I took my loop I saw one of the stars punched onto one of these possible cud errors? Almost half of the reverse of the coin has what looks to be a stone pathway in the clad, I have no idea what I'm looking at, it looks very cool, never seen anything like it before, would love to know if you guys have ever seen any Kennedys that look like this or what this error might be.

Thanks,

Until next time,

Steve

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Best I can do with those blurry pictures is that eagle has on leppard skin drawers.

4. Stephen Betz

ill try and take some better ones.... this is just a very strange coin....

5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

It's glue (seen that before.) Soak it in 100% acetone and it will come off.

6. Stephen Betz

Its not glue its metal. are you saying someone glued metal dots to this coin?

7. Stephen Betz

There is a star stamped on one of the metal cuds... can't be glue.

8. Stephen Betz

defiantly not putting what could be a possibly valuable coin into anything lol!

9. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

You asked if any of us had seen this before, and I am saying that I've seen a few coins that looked exactly like this, and I was also curious - until I figured out it was just glue. Same exact bubbling pattern.

I'm not seeing any cuds, neither am I seeing cuds with stars stamped into them. It would make sense, however, to have the impression of a star in the glue (if this coin were glued to another Kennedy Half Dollar.)

Also looks like there may be scratches on the coin (maybe from someone trying to remove the glue or remove the coin from whatever it was glued to?)

(FWIW, 100% acetone won't harm a 1971 Kennedy Half dollar (only coin I've ever seen acetone hurt was a steel cent), but it will remove that glue for you no problem.)

Just because a coin looks weird doesn't automatically mean it's a super rare and valuable piece. But if you want more detailed help, maybe post some in-focus pictures of the coin straight on, and then it will be easier to tell.

LaCointessa and Oldhoopster like this.
  10. Stephen Betz

no scatches at all actually, the pics don't really do it justice, ill take a few more and upload them, stangest error I've ever seen. no silver in this box just a bunch of misplaced mint marks and 2 possible no FG's.

11. Stephen Betz

new pics.... still baffled by this coin, I'm calling it the pathway error.

Attached Files:

12. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Going by the pictures, I am on board with the glue. May look different in hand, but I would try the acetone.

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Glue or possibly melted plastic. Regardless, it IS NOT a mint error. Whatever happened to it, happened AFTER it left the mint

LaCointessa likes this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Pathway error?
    Can you please describe this is the minting process?

15. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

No doubt in my mind that thats a foreign substance on that coin. Far from an error.

16. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You've received some feedback from a few people who have demonstrated their knowledge of the minting process on CT over the years. Are they all wrong?

It's OK to disagree, HOWEVER, you need to provide a plausible explanation of how this "pathway" error could occur. Just saying "it looks different so it must be an error" isn't good enough. Even experts like Fred Weinberg and Ken Potter provide an explanation when making a case for something new.

Why should I trust you and take your word for it when years of experience and observations tell me it's some type of adhered material? Where is your theory?What are your credentials? If you can provide a reasonable explanation that aligns with the minting process, it will be taken seriously. Until then, you just have an unsubstantiated opinion

17. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

With those last photos, looks like your on the path to fifty cents.

-jeffB likes this.
  18. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Its glue. You have to see that by now. Pick off a little piece

19. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

GT

Glue Too

Clawcoins likes this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Soak it in some acetone and you won't be arguing.
    No doubt a foreign substance.

21. Stephen Betz

lol its not glue

Draft saved Draft deleted