1971 dime with no mint mark

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by christiger, Nov 18, 2013.

1. christiger

christiger New Member

Hi all. I could use some help on this one! I found a 1971 dime that has no mintmark whatsoever. I did some research, but all professional sites suggest that the only dimes without mint mark are 68, 70 and 83. Does anyone have experience with this? I am really hoping someone has an answer. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Philadelphia mint. In 1971, the only mints that used mint marks were Denver and San Francisco.

4. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

Welcome to CoinTalk! No, it's just a Philadelphia-minted dime. I think you were reading about S mintmarks.

5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The valuable coins are pieces struck in proof at the San Francisco mint using a die that in error did not have the Mintmark punched into it. There were 3.2 million proofs struck in San Francisco WITH the S mintmark. There were also 377 million dimes struck in Denver with D mintmarks and 162 million dimes struck WITH NO MINTMARKS at the Philadelphia mint that year. The Denver and Philadelphia coins were business strikes and not proof coins. Proof coins are special coins struck at much higher pressure using polished dies on polished blanks resulting in coins with mirror finished fields. Your coin is almost certainly one of the 162 million Philadelphia coins and not one of the 20 or so San Francisco proofs without a mintmark. (Unless you personally removed it from an unopened 1971 proof set.)

6. maulik

maulik New Member

I too have 1971 Roosvelt dime without mintmark and also some different years Lincoln pennies with close AM errors and no "FG" or no "VDB" errors.I am keen to know the market values of such coins, any information on this would be of help.
    my e-mail id : edited

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First, if you don't remove your email, the mods will (for your own good, of course).

Now, as explained in the post you quoted, a dime missing a mintmark doesn't automatically mean you've something special. In fact it is almost certain what you have is a common Philadelphia example. Are you able to tell the difference between a proof (struck for collectors) and business strike (everyday coins used in commerce)? If not, simply post a clear, well detailed photo.

As for the others, short of possibly the supposed close AMs depending on dates, chances are they too are, unfortunately, nothing special, but again, photos would allow us to say for sure. Welcome to the forum.

8. maulik

maulik New Member

how to differentiate between proof strikes and business strikes ?

9. maulik

maulik New Member

10. SilverTracker

SilverTracker Well-Known Member

Isn't the 1982 dime rare if you find one without a mint mark?

Mike Davis and Hernandez1 like this.
  11. rickmp

Not if it was minted at Philadelphia. There were millions of those and none had mint marks.

http://www.coingrading.com/isitproof1.html

12. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I predicted this back in 1980 when they added mm's; dimes without mm's wouldn't be seen often after a few decades.

Dimes have a high attrition so those old dimes without mm's will disappear pretty fast and almost all the coins in circulation will have them. So far it's mostly been people asking about the no-S coins ('68, '70, & '75) but as time goes on there will be more and more for the other dates as well.

It won't happen often but you can open up a roll of dimes now days and every coin will have a mm.

13. BooksB4Coins

Every coin shown in your photos are, unfortunately, business strikes.

14. maulik

maulik New Member

Thank you for the information.How much they are worth ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  15. BooksB4Coins

You're certainly welcome, and I do apologize for not directly answering your question regarding the differences between/how to identify proof vs. business stuck coins, but time this morning is short. I'll try to make a note to revisit this later on and, perhaps, locate a few helpful links for you unless someone else does in the meantime.

maulik likes this.
  16. rickmp

Ten cents each.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Try again rick. Can you find me some of those millions of Philadelphia dimes that don't have mintmarks? :)

18. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

The dimes aren't worth much now but a couple of those are real keepers. Old clad in high grade are not often seen.

One of these days all the mint sets willhave been "consumed" and then collectors will be looking for AU's, XF's, and VF's.

It won't be as long as most people think.

maulik likes this.
  19. Jamieson

Jamieson New Member

Hi
    Help ....should I Have them cleaned up and keep OR place in a roll??

20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It might help if we knew what you were talking about, and you weren't replying to a nearly seven-year-old discussion that was last replied to over four years ago... ;)

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  21. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

Yes. I have one, but it's in a safe deposit box. I just need get to where I can take decent pix yo share it here.

Draft saved Draft deleted