1971 DDR half dollar

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kevin Humphries, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Kevin Humphries

Kevin Humphries New Member

Just found my first double die half. Does anyone have any idea how common theses are and if it is worth anything? Thanks for any help!!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If talking about the lower reverse, that's not the type of doubling you were hoping for and means it's not a doubled die.

4. Kevin Humphries

Thank you for the info, although i'm still very new at this and nit quite sure what you mean by the type of doubling.

5. BooksB4Coins

Check the below site out but be sure to go through the other options on the upper left side of each page. Particularly the "worthless doubling" section will explain the different types. In your case pay close attention to the "strike doubling" (also called mechanical or machine)...

http://doubleddie.com/58222.html

Spark1951 likes this.
  6. Kevin Humphries

Thanks so much, i really appreciate it!!!

Stevearino likes this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

Absolutely.

Not that you're unable to do so for yourself, but here are a couple of the mentioned links that should be initially most helpful. I was in somewhat of a rush before and is why my previous response was lacking.

-This is the said "worthless doubling" link. At the bottom of the page there will be three other links that go into greater detail regarding the different types...

http://doubleddie.com/144801.html

-This explains how dies are made and can be particularly useful information when trying to learn about and how to identify varieties...

http://doubleddie.com/58201.html

-When one locates a coin they believe to be a variety, its best to try to attribute it (basically compare to known examples). While there are other sites (Variety Vista/CONECA, CopperCoins, etc), I find Wexler's particularly helpful and would recommend it as a first stop...

http://doubleddie.com/228401.html

Since you're new to this area please understand that the learning process is usually rather slow going, but do try to stick with it. Unfortunately, there's a lot of poor to sadly misleading information out there, particularly on sites such as YouTube, so be careful about what you take as gospel and please don't be afraid to ask questions. Welcome to the forum, Kevin.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Kevin Humphries

Thanks for all of the information. That site is a huge help, i totally get the difference now.

9. Mark Morris

Mark Morris Active Member

Go on and get yourself a couple books... the Cherry pickers guide and strike it rich with pocket change. the area on the 1971d you're are looking for is listed in both. I cannot see well enough in your pictures to see if it is a DDO in the words In the first number of the date and in the word trust and the t in liberty.

10. BooksB4Coins

I hate to have to disagree, but I must and on a few different levels.

-Cherrypickers may be fine books, but they are anything but a definitive variety reference. The coins listed within are essentially the winners of a popularity and/or value contest and often represent just a small fraction of known varieties for each type. As long as one understands this the books are worth having even though the same and better information can now be had online for free, including FS numbers.

-"Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" is one of the absolute worst books a budding variety collector can buy and is a complete waste of good paper imo. The previously posted links are infinitely better on varieties in general and provide an incomparable amount of solid information free of charge. Said book is but a black eye and has caused more damage to this hobby than any benefit it has or could ever offer. It is simply ridiculous that a man who most certainly knows better thought it a good idea to use his name to publish garbage that intentionally provides laughably unrealistic expectations to those entering into a hobby already crushed by them. Still, if the OP or anyone reading this decides they want a copy, please buy used as to not reward the author.

That all said, I see no evidence of doubling on the noted parts of the obverse, but due to your stated reason doesn't mean a whole lot at this point. I'm not sure if he's still actively participating here or not, but @atrox001 has more than proven himself very adept with Kennedy varieties. Perhaps he'll be willing to take a look and share his thoughts.

11. Mark Morris

Mark Morris Active Member

I agree strike it rich is not a great book and it is about the popular coins. However when your new its rent at the library for he $100 books and wexlers books are not cheap. the others while not the best dont stretch your budget and give you a nice set for reference as well as lots of information to help you get started in the hobby. I bought all three for less than $60 and wexlers encyclopedia is $88 then you need more. However the web links are nice. Not necessarily going to use them like the books out and about but nice to have for at home.

Attached Files:

12. BooksB4Coins

I'm certainly usually not one to argue against buying books, but in this case it's simply unnecessary. If you prefer them that's great, but your preference isn't necessarily the wisest choice for others.

The issue here is Potter's garbage vs. what's available online for free and the fact is that there's simply no comparison or reason to pay for such misleading garbage when there's infinitely better and more convenient alternatives not costing a cent. Even if Potter's book was free it's best avoided; its sucker bait, plain and simple.

Also, much has changed in this niche over the years and means that in some cases books once irreplaceable are no longer worth the price of admission unless buying as a collectible. The mentioned Wexler encyclopedia from 27 years ago is almost certainly one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted