1971-D Roosevelt dime Missing The word "DIME" on reverse?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by SunnySeaJay, Aug 30, 2018.

?

I was wondering what is going on with this Dime and if it has any numismatic value.

1. Why is it missing the word dime?

100.0%
  2. Is this a very weak struck coin?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SunnySeaJay

SunnySeaJay Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Look up "struck through grease" and see if it seems fitting.

spirityoda, tommyc03 and SunnySeaJay like this.
  4. SunnySeaJay

SunnySeaJay Member

Yes thank you very much. That does seem fitting. Do You have any idea of value for it ? Would it be worth it to send to P.C.G.S ?

5. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Welcome to Cointalk
    IMO it wouldn't be worth it the grading would cost more then what the coins worth.
    Dave

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  6. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Greaser. A nice one. But no point in grading.
    It's hard to value errors. There's no real guideline.
    Paddyman might know. I will take a chance at looking like a fool:
    It's prob worth a dollar.

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It's worth what a minor Mint Error collector is willing to pay for it. I have paid a little bit more for minor errors than I should of but that's me.. I like them

But the Dime in question is really not worth Attributing by a TPG

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  8. SunnySeaJay

SunnySeaJay Member

Thank you very much

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. SunnySeaJay

SunnySeaJay Member

Appreciated, thank you

10. SunnySeaJay

SunnySeaJay Member

Thank you

11. SunnySeaJay

SunnySeaJay Member

Thanks. Maybe I'll ask Pattyman what he thinks too?

12. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Nice. You have the "ONE" :)

Kentucky and SunnySeaJay like this.
  13. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

Its "paddyman98" and he already replied, post #6.
    btw, the poll is optional.

SunnySeaJay likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

When it comes to submitting coins the plastic absolutely must add something of value equal to or greater than the price of admission. This can be anything from independently verified authenticity to increased liquidity and/or everything in between, but if it doesn't or wouldn't it also automatically means the coin isn't a plastic candidate, or at least a wise one.

The reality is that relatively very, very few perfectly collectible coins truly need and/or benefit from plastic, at least from a submitter's standpoint (buying already-slabbed can be a very different story), and the majority of coins already residing in plastic have no business being there. Yes, some simply like their collection in matching holders while others do it for the education, and sometimes folks will submit coins of sentimental value because it makes them feel better, but this doesn't mean it a wise investment of their money. The TPGs, contrary to what many seem to believe, are not the collector's friend nor do they exist to benefit this hobby. They're for-profit businesses that exist solely to make money and couldn't care less if a new collector permanently buries himself in a poor submission and/or is turned off from further hobby participation because of it. This isn't a bad thing, of course, but is something that everyone involved in this hobby must understand.

While serious business, submitting coins can also realistically be looked at as a game. Play wisely and it can pay off handsomely, but play foolishly and you'll lose your shirt. Unfortunately for those new to the hobby, it's simply not practical to play this game as it is absolutely dependent upon knowledge, grading ability, and/or one's ability to be honest with themselves. Sadly, a large percentage of those involved in the hobby are prone to seeing what they want to instead of what's really there and goes for everything from grading to varieties and errors. A coin, every coin, is what it is no matter how much we may want to believe otherwise. A coin can also tell you everything you need to know about it as long as you know how to listen. Keep this in mind as you grow and you'll be the better for it.

I understand that much of the above has little to do with the coin in question, so please take it in a general sense, especially if interested in others areas/aspects of the hobby. Welcome to the forum, Jay. It's nice to have you here.

alurid and SunnySeaJay like this.
  15. SunnySeaJay

SunnySeaJay Member

Very much appreciated, Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted