1971 D Quarter Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by JPAUL, May 4, 2012.

1. JPAUL

JPAUL Member

1971 D US Reverse.jpg Hey guys can you look at this quarter and tell if it is ddr or mdd i know the obverse is beat up. 1971 D Obverse.jpg 1971 D America Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Looks to be machine doubling, you can tell by the shelf like steps on the doubling. Good eyes though, we can turn you into a numismatist yet ;)

4. JPAUL

JPAUL Member

Hey thanks for the help,i found another 1971 d quarter please take a look at it. DSC05817.jpg DSC05759.jpg DSC05778.JPG

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

JPaul, in case you don't know, a doubled die is a variety, not an error.

6. areich

areich America*s Darling

Hello

Can you explain that in more detail?

Thank You

Amanda

7. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Hello,

Sure. When a working die is made with some of the features doubled we call that a 'doubled die'. Every coin struck by that die will have the same doubling. There may be many coins struck by that die or there may only be a few. In any case there will be a number of coins with the same "mistake". We call that a 'variety'. (For example, the 1955 DDO Lincoln Cent is a variety.)

Another type of variety is an overdate. Examples of an overdate are the 1918/7-D Buffalo Nickel and the 1942/1 Mercury Dime. (In both cases the Working Die was hubbed with different Working Hubs. The 1918/7-D Buffalo Nickel was hubbed with both a 1917 Working Hub and a 1918 Working Hub. The same thing happened to the 1942/1 Mercury Dime; it was hubbed with both a 1941 Working Hub and a 1942 Working Hub.) Every coin struck by these overdate dies has the same overdate. This is a variety.

Repunched mintmarks (RPMs) are yet another example of a variety. The mintmark on the Working Die was repunched and every coin struck by that die has the RPM. That is a variety.

An error, on the other hand, is usually a one-off. You rarely find two or more coins with the exact, same clipped planchet. Even if you found several coins with the same amount of clip the clips were all produced from different "mistakes". Off-center coins occur individually. You may find numerous examples of coins with the "same" amount and direction of off center but they are not related; they all were produced by their own "mistake", not one common "mistake".

So 'varieties' share a common "mistake" and 'errors' are each produced by their own unique "mistake".

8. JPAUL

JPAUL Member

Hey Hobo thanks for the tip, i am learning a lot on the fly.

9. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

10. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

Then why are all of the doubled die's posted in the error forum? I'd say it is both an error and a variety. An error because the die was pressed twice and was slightly off center when pressed the second time, producing something that should have been inspected and discarded before it was used to make coins. A variety because more than one coin was made from that error die.

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Erros and varieties tend to be lumped together but experts usually differentuate between the two. Yes, an error was made in the production of a die that is doubled or has an RPM or overdate but we call the coins produced by that die 'varieties' instead of 'errors'.

12. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

13. pennsteve

pennsteve Well-Known Member

They've been called errors for as long as I can remember. Almost every coin shop will have them listed as errors. To me, errors they are. Nitpicking isn't my thing.

Just like another post on here......I forget when or on what forum I read it. Someone said "we call them cents, not pennies." I call them pennies and always will.

14. K2Coins

K2Coins GO GATORS

I recently found three of these same kinds of die varieties for the very same date, so i do not believe that it is that rare, if it is then we're in luck JPAUL!!!
    Except mine have a larger doubling of the QUARTER DOLLAR

15. Lisa Grubbs

Lisa Grubbs New Member

I received a 1971D Quarter in change. It's very unique and absolutely has to be a error coin. How do I post a photo of my coin to get feedback? TIA. -Lisa

16. Tom Burch

Tom Burch New Member

I have a 1971 quarter that is doubled die on the back can anyone help me verify this.

Draft saved Draft deleted