1971-D Kennedy Half dollar - 40%

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tim Sweet, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Tim Sweet

Tim Sweet Member

I got an email from a guy that said he had 1971-D Kennedy Half Dollars that were sliver.

I looked here at Cointalk for some posts and I did a little Google Fu.

While it's true there were some 40% planchets at the Denver Mint that were struck for the 1971-D Kennedy, they would be extremely rare find.

Here is some research:
    Note: I read somewhere that 40% coins don't show the copper on the edges(reed). That's not true in Quarters and Half Dollars

FROM ANACS web site:

ANACS has graded and encapsulated as About Uncirculated 50 a 1971-D Kennedy half dollar that was struck on a silver-copper clad planchet instead of the intended copper-nickel clad planchet.

John Veach from Marshall’s Coin Shop in Wymore, Neb., said the coin was among circulated coins purchased over the counter.

ANACS senior numismatist Michael Fahey said graders relied on the 40 percent silver 1971-D coin’s specific gravity in making the silver-copper clad determination.

The coin’s specific gravity is 9.5, close to the standard 9.53 for silver-copper clad, with a weight of 11.44 grams, within tolerance of the U.S. Mint standard 11.5-gram planchet.

Specific gravity for copper-nickel clad is 8.92 and a coin’s weight is 11.34 grams.

When introduced into circulation in 1964, the Kennedy half dollar’s alloy was 90 percent silver and 10 percent copper. From 1965 through 1970, a silver-copper clad composition was used. In 1970, 40 percent silver/silver-copper clad planchets were used for the production of Proof half dollars at the San Francisco Mint and Uncirculated Mint set coins at the Denver Mint. No half dollars were struck for circulation.

The silver-copper clad composition was discontinued in 1971 in favor of the copper-nickel clad composition, but returned for the collector versions of 1776–1976 Kennedy, Bicentennial half dollars.

https://treasurepursuits.com/1971-kennedy-half-dollar/

After the removal of silver, the weight of the Kennedy Half Dollar dropped from 11.50 grams to 11.34 grams. The removal of silver also resulted in a new composition of 75% copper, 25% nickel. The diameter remained unchanged from previous half dollars at 30.6mm. Reeding can be found on the edge of the coin.

Rare 1971-D Kennedy Half Dollar Planchet Error

Even though silver was supposed to be removed in 1971, some planchets that were made from the previous 40% silver composition slipped through and were struck with dates bearing 1971. This is a major mint error as all 1971 Kennedy Half Dollars were to be made with 75% copper and 25% nickel planchets.

Recently a 1971 Kennedy Half Dollar minted at the Denver mint was found to be a genuine specimen with a 40% silver planchet and bearing the 1971 date. This coin was graded AU-50 by ANACS.

The amount that may still be outside of collections is probably very small. Only a couple silver planchets could have been stuck in a bin, and the possibility of them all being found is even lower. This means that 20 or fewer examples may still be in existence.

So go check the specific gravity of all your 1971-D Kennedy Half Dollar.

:)

Mkm5 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tim Sweet

Tim Sweet Member

BTW - Similar occurrance in 1977

Then in 1977 the regular heraldic eagle design was resumed and things returned to normal for the half dollar. However through some fluke of happenstance a number of the special 40% silver planchets ended up at the Denver mint, where they were mixed in with the ordinary nickel coins and struck as 1977 halves

The only surefire way that you can readily test the coin though is to simply weigh it. A normal Kennedy half dollar is expected to have a weight of 11.34 grams while a 40% silver coins should have a weight of 11.50 grams.

Because this is technically an error coin they are today extremely sought after and fetch sometimes fantastical premiums. During April of 2018 one such coin, graded by NGC with a grade of AU58 was sold at auction for $6 600.

http://worldnumismaticnews.com/2018/06/15/the-1977-kennedy-half-dollar-coins-worth-big-money/

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

This is NOT a definitive test! The half dollars have too wide a weight tolerance range to make weight a conclusive test.

A copper nickel clad half tolerance range is 10.89 grams to 11.794 grams.
    A 40% silver half has a range of 11.1grams to 11.9 grams.
    So if you have a half dollar that weighs anywhere between 11.1 to 11.794 grams it could be either one. And almost every half dollar you check WILL fall within that range.

Examining the edge is usually a pretty good test, but only on high grade coins. With circulation the edge of the center 80% copper 20% silver layer darkens and can make the edge more difficult to tell apart.

The BEST way to indisputably tell the two compositions apart is either by specific gravity, or an XRF gun.

Cheech9712 and Kentucky like this.
  5. Tim Sweet

Tim Sweet Member

I like guns!!!
    https://www.ebay.com/p/Watson-XRF-Handheld-Metal-Alloy-Analyzer/3031758693?iid=123646159115

but not that much!!

AND....

JUST TO BE CLEAR!!!!!! I DIDN'T SAY:

The only surefire way that you can readily test the coin though is to simply weigh it. A normal Kennedy half dollar is expected to have a weight of 11.34 grams while a 40% silver coins should have a weight of 11.50 grams.

IT IS FROM THE ARTICLE FOUND THERE. - http://worldnumismaticnews.com/2018/06/15/the-1977-kennedy-half-dollar-coins-worth-big-money/

CHEERS
    TIM.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK, You didn't say it, you were quoting from an article that was giving bad information.

7. Tim Sweet

Tim Sweet Member

Yes ANACS, folks at World Numismatic and ANACS senior numismatist Michael Fahey are all hacks....the only place to get REAL information is here @ surly experts .com

8. Tim Sweet

Tim Sweet Member

Admins - you can remove my account. Thanks.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Woah, what brought that on?

10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm sorry you feel that way, but the I'm not sure why you're upset. Nobody said these coins don't exist. You did some nice research and published some linked sources.

From what I can see, all @Conder101 did was to clarify some misinformation from one the quoted sources. The source stated that weight is the only surefire way to tell the difference. This is incorrect. Conder pointed out there is an overlap in weight ranges between clad an 40% and said that XRF or specific gravity is a better test. You even recommended doing a SG test in you 1st post.

Why would you call someone surly for correcting inaccurate info from a published source that didn't take the time to do the homework or completely understand the topic before they put something in print. I think his post did a nice job of supporting your info. Just my opinion.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. RocketTiger

RocketTiger New Member

I have found 6 1971-D Kennedy halves and they weigh 11.4 grams and two of them are possible in a MS condition

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So you have 6 1971-D kennedy half dollars that all weigh well within acceptable tolerance for coppernickel clad halves and two of them might make MS. Any else special about them?

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

CuNi Kennedy half dollars should weigh 11.34 gms. Like @Conder101 said, yours are within normal tolerance.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Cheech9712 likes this.
  15. simpsondanny46

simpsondanny46 New Member

Ok so I'm trying to get this right I have one that weigh is 11.31. Has a very nice shine and now I'm confused lol

Cheech9712 likes this.
  16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

17. Sarahtonin69

Sarahtonin69 New Member

Mine weighs 11.25

18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Very interesting.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

No stay on. We might need a real expert some day

20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

@cpm9ball how have you been doing. Miss hearing from you. Hope your well!!!

21. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

He hasn't been on since December,if I recall correctly he doesn't have internet at his new location.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted